Author Topic: Newbury 1851 TWITCHIN and variations  (Read 10597 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newbury 1851 TWITCHIN and variations
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 04:26 BST (UK) »
I think there were 3 brothers TWITCHIN who were raising their families in Newbury in 1851 ... they were;
Joseph who married Elizabeth 1826
Benjamin who married Emma 1839
Richard who married Emma 1840

Joseph was a 'bargeman' who could have been aboard a barge in 1851 although his home was in Cheap Street.

Where the others lived I have'nt determined but I do know that an aunt named Eliza TWITCHIN was probably the proprietor of the 'Black Bear Inn' in Market Place in 1851 and may have some of the family there at the same time. 
It may be also that an older branch of the family headed by Andrew TWITCHIN and wife Sarah were living in Newbury at the same period.
Most of the recorded events Baptisms Marriages and Burials happened in St Nichlas' Parish.
Any help would be appreciated.
joboy

Hello Joboy
I have sent you a private message.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 04:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, joboy. 

As a consequence of your information, I believe Hannah is a contender for a niece of the Sarah LEWIS who married 'my' William WESTALL in 1820.  In Toomer's 1815 Census James LEWIS 17 and Sarah 12 are recorded in the household of Francis & Sarah LEWIS at West Mills.

At last I'm inching towards a breakthrough into 18th Century Berkshire on one branch of my family .....  ;D

Hello DeeJay,
The 1841 has Hannah Lewis looking to be a daughter of James 45 and Sarah 56 with Eliza 25, Sarah 14, Francis 12, Hannah 10, and Benjamin 8 in that order.  That is the Hannah that I have as 2nd wife of Benjamin Twitchin. My link is with one of their daughters.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicwinann
It's a small world!  I found an advert yesterday in a 1796 edition of the Reading Mercury pertaining to an auction of freehold estate fronting Northbrook Street, Newbury, comprising 3 substantial dwelling-houses, one of which was occupied by  F. LEWIS, Linen-draper, and 5 tenements adjoining let to good tenants, one of whom was Francis LEWIS paying a rent of £9 p.a.

Serendipity?

dee-jay

SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi DeeJay,
These things tend to come all of a rush after weeks, months, trying to find stuff.
Vicwinann

Offline NewburyCookTwitchen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 November 13 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just started constructing my family tree and came across this thread. My grandmother was Linda Mary Twitchen (I've come across various names for her, but this is what my granddad said her name was and I have an old diary of hers that she has written her name in) born 1873. I'm not sure how she fits in with everyone here, but Benjamin Twitchin and Hannah Lewis were her parents. She married Thomas Cook and had 7 children. Although my granddad moved away from Newbury when he got married, my parents moved there when they got married and so I grew up their too. I'd love to learn more about my family and the places they lived and worked in my hometown.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 June 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
It was Benjamin's second marriage (the first was to Emma Bradley 17-Feb-1839) to Hannah Lewis 26-Feb-1860 and they had the following children; Sarah Jane Twitchin, Frederick Baron Twitchin, Emily Twitchin, Ada Katherine Twitchin, Jessica Florence Twitchin, Mary Linda Twitchin, Ernest Richard Twitchin.
I guess that the Mary Linda could be yours.
Not sure what happened to Benjamin's first wife.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline babyboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
Burial for Benjamin's first wife:

17th June 1859, St Nicolas Church Newbury, Emma Twitchen, aged 40

Burial for his 2nd wife:

2nd Sept 1911, Newtown Road Cemetery Newbury, Hannah Twitchen, aged 77

Offline Mal701312

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Good morning everybody, I am the great grand son of Mary Linda twitchen and Thomas cook . I have just started to trace my tree and already I see that there is a lot of information on here about the family. Would be interested in hearing from any relatives on here or any body who can help me out. I'm particularly interested in finding my grandmother's siblings yes her name was Sylvia Gwendolyn cook born may 1912 , died nov 1996. Thanks in advance

Offline Mal701312

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am the great grandson of Mary Linda twitchen, would be interested in chatting with you at some point, thanks in advance