Author Topic: James Sawyer  (Read 473 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
James Sawyer
« on: Wednesday 25 November 15 03:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find James Sawyer, bn 1841 in Burslem Staffordshire
I have him in the 1851 and 1861 census, at home with parents James and Elizabeth.

In 1863 he marries Hannah Edwards at Cheadle, Staffs.

I have him in the 1871 census at Fenton with wife and mother in law.

The only other mention I can find about him is in the 1881 census where Hannah in the wife of a shipping clerk, but he is not with wife and daughter Sarah Ann, bn 1871.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to find out what happened to him, I would be very grateful. At the moment, I have run out of ideas, trying too hard probably.

A Chesters

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Re: James Sawyer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 04:46 GMT (UK) »
I can see Sarah Ann Sawyer marrying George Hathaway Dec 1893 Cheadle Vol 6b p514a.  If this is her the certificate will mention who her father is and may say if he is deceased.

I have quickly looked in from 1881 onwards and can't see anything obvious.

Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 04:55 GMT (UK) »
There are about a dozen public trees on ancestry that contain James, Hannah and Sarah Ann but none of them have information beyond the 1871 census. 

A couple of these state his parents as James Sawyer and Elizabeth Oakes but are without sources.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 06:09 GMT (UK) »
mirl  Thank you for that information. I have not got as far as following Sarah Ann yet, but that will come.

James Sawyer and Elizabeth Oakes are his parents, and I have sources for them. It is just trying to find out what happened to him after 1871.

Whether he ran off, was imprisoned or what I don't know, but there is the tantalising mention in 1881 for Hannah that he was a shipping clerk that is causing problems.

I should have mentioned earlier that the 1891 census, Hannah calls herself a widow, living on own means. Just what those means were is unknown so far.

Again, thanks for the information, and apologies for not adding the 1891 information.

AC