Author Topic: Marianglas  (Read 3661 times)

Offline marcm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marianglas
« on: Wednesday 25 November 15 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking to find out the history of a house in Marianglas.
The name of the house is Hen Gamdda Fawr, it is an old stone building that seems to be an old farm house (I may be wrong).

It would be nice to know the history as in what it was used for and/or the previous residents.

I have done quite a bit of searching but the name isn't really logged anywhere with regards to history.

Thanks
Marc

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Marianglas
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 November 15 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marc
the 1881 census RG11 Piece number 5585 Folio 74 Page 9
has Owen Thomas, a farm bailiff living with his wife Mary, daughters Elizabeth and Ann, and grandson Owen. The property is transcribed as Lamdda Fawr, but looking at the image for the census it is clear the "G" has been mistaken for an "L".
Going back ten years to the 1871 census, the same family is living there, Owen, wife Mary, daughter Elizabeth (no sister Ann, but one called Margrad).
Going back to 1861, still at the same property, Owen is a joiner, but wife is listed as Marged and daughters Mary, Elin, Ann, Elizabeth and Margrad.
Going back to 1851, the family are still at Gamdda Fawr. Owen is a joiner born 1815, Mary his wife is a milliner born 1817, and children Mary born 1847 and Elinor born 1849. Just above Owen and his family on the 1851 census image is another family listed as residing at Gamdda Fawr (not sure if this means the property was divided into two?), a man also called Owen Thomas a stonemason born 1771, his wife Eleanor born 1771 and a grandson called Owen born 1840
hope this helps you start your search
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 15 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mar
Thank you for the information, I think Gamdda Fawr is another house, maybe it was the original house that Hen Gamdda Fawr was made from.

Can you recommend anywhere I can look to get maybe when the house name was registered ?

Thanks
Marc

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hen Gamdda Fawr seems to be in the same position as Gamdda Fawr shown on the old maps.
However both seem to be listed in the housing sites.

After a bit of searching, I found Gamdda Fawr to be a modern bungalow nearby.

The attached is the name plate from the bungalow.

David

Offline marcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have seen Gamdda Fawr just off the B5110.
Hen Gamdda Fawr looks like an old farmhouse so I thought would have a lot more history associated with it.  Maybe its had a name change in the past so is now difficult to trace.

Hen Gamdda Fawr seems to be in the same position as Gamdda Fawr shown on the old maps.
However both seem to be listed in the housing sites.

After a bit of searching, I found Gamdda Fawr to be a modern bungalow nearby.

The attached is the name plate from the bungalow.

David

Moderator comment: image removed to prevent breach of copyright

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Could it be a simple as, the new bungalow was built (named Gamdda Fawr) and very nearby property added "old" or "hen" to the front of its name?  :)
If this was the case, the census info listed for Gamdda Fawr would refer to Hen Gamdda Fawr
Mar  ;)
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Could it be a simple as, the new bungalow was built (named Gamdda Fawr) and very nearby property added "old" or "hen" to the front of its name?  :)
If this was the case, the census info listed for Gamdda Fawr would refer to Hen Gamdda Fawr
Mar  ;)

Could well be, as you say Hen is Old, so its renamed the Old Great Gamdda.  ???

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Ive just looked at the 1841 census, to add to the other census info and it says
Gamdda Fawr
Owen Thomas , farmer aged 70
Eleanor Thomas aged 70
Owen Thomas aged 25

Mar
Surname Interests

Offline ukgill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 November 16 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I have a bit more information on Gamfa Fawr/Hen Gamfa fawr (as it was spelt back then). I happen to have a Plan of the Parciau Estate from 1868 together with the details of all of the properties on the Estate. In case you didnt know the Parciau Estate owned that whole area back in 1868. The original property of approx 17 acres was called Gamfa Fawr and the tenant was Owen Thomas in 1868. As part of the property there was a piece of land which was called "Site of Old House, yard etc" and the map shows a rectangular building. I wonder if this was the Hen (old) Gamfa Fawr? The entire property consisted of 14 different areas, some were fields, some hilly areas and garden.  I also have details of 2 estate auctions one in 1920 and one in 1934 that were held as the Parciau Estate sold off the properties. Gamfa fawr was not sold off in either of thse auctions so it must have been sold privately at some other time. i don't have a record of this but I am sure you can get this information from the Title register on the Land Registry website for about 3 pounds or so...