Author Topic: Dunaway family circa 1700  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dunaway family circa 1700
« on: Wednesday 25 November 15 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking mainly for a William Dunaway, or could be Dunnaway, Dunoway, Donovan, or similar spellings. It seems that he was living in Sussex (possibly Rotherford) around 1650-1700, may have died in 1705. Should have had a son named Derby who either moved to or was born in Virginia, United States.

All information would be helpful, and thank you.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Dunaway family circa 1700
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you mean Rotherfield, East Sussex rather than Rotherford?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 15 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, yes, thanks for the correction :)

Been looking for this family link for a while now. Hoping someone has a clue :)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 15 00:17 GMT (UK) »
There are several public trees on Ancestry with a Derby Dunaway in Virginia, but his date is 1674. Also these trees don't look very well researched as at least one has his father marrying several years after he died! However, with the unusual name there may be some connection.

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 15 00:23 GMT (UK) »
There are several public trees on Ancestry with a Derby Dunaway in Virginia, but his date is 1674. Also these trees don't look very well researched as at least one has his father marrying several years after he died! However, with the unusual name there may be some connection.

You're right, 1674-1729. I don't know any exact dates for his date, though the one connection I've found indicates a William Dunaway. I suppose I should have used a different date for the subject. I have a book which chronicles, as close as has been recorded so far, that lineage, which comes all the way down to my paternal grandfather, but so far no one knows for sure Derby's dad. Family tradition says Ireland, however DNA evidence shows the Sussex, England area.

I've put all of the known correct data in my own tree on ancestry. However, no further hints have been uncovered, so now I'm trying to take the search right to Southern England to find some trace.

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 November 15 00:26 GMT (UK) »
This is the best record I have to further the paternal line:

Dunaway, Darby
Master: Fletcher, David, Jr.
Beginning date: 12/13/1758
Sex: male
Father: Dunaway, William (deceased)
Source: Lancaster Co. Orders 11, 1756-1764, 191
Lancaster Co.
Ending date: unspecified
Race: white

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 November 15 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Then there is this:

It was David that steered me away from the idea that the Dunaway name was Celtic in it’s origin. He said he initially tried to find this family name in various Irish indexes, both present and past. He said he came up with few names to support this theory of Irish origins. He then hired a qualified Linguist named Kenneth Barnett of Salem, Oregon. In his research, Mr. Barnett consulted another expert on names in London, England. They both came to the same conclusion that this Dunaway (Dunnaway, Duniway, Dunniway, Dunavey, etc.) family name was Saxon in it’s history in the British Isles. David was told that the name began as a Roman soldier’s name Dunnavoci (sp?). This Dunnavoci name means ‘The Watch on Top of the Castle’. This Dunnavoci Centurion from Ceasars Army stayed on in England to marry a Saxon woman. Then the name Dunnavoci became Dunnavey in Saxon. This name means ‘ The castle on the Road’. This all happened in Southern England about the100-300 AD.

So, I'm taking a shot in the dark that William may be rooted in the Southern England area.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 November 15 00:35 GMT (UK) »
If you look on FamilySearch there are a lot of Dunaways from around the Bosham area of West Sussex, might be worth seeing if there are any naming patterns that you recognise.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gkb/

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 November 15 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Awesome. Thank you. That's at least a thread to take further :)