Author Topic: Dunaway family circa 1700  (Read 3753 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunaway family circa 1700
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 November 15 08:57 GMT (UK) »
There are 45 parishes in Sussex with entries over the years for Dunaway.   If you join the Sussex Family History Group you can access their online records.  Not many early ones though.
There is a burial for a William Dunaway on 30 May 1705 at St Mary's church Funtington.

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 November 15 17:06 GMT (UK) »
There are 45 parishes in Sussex with entries over the years for Dunaway.   If you join the Sussex Family History Group you can access their online records.  Not many early ones though.
There is a burial for a William Dunaway on 30 May 1705 at St Mary's church Funtington.

Thank you so much :) I'm not currently a member of that. I'm still learning about all the resources.

Offline David Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
As the Administrator of the FamilytTreeDNA Dunaway Project, I can assure all that the several variations of the name, Dunaway, like the many variations of Donoghue, derive from the Irish, Donnchadha.

Dunaways are Donoghues; Donoghues are Dunaways.

If one is researching another name - I.E., Downes - as being Dunaway, dna test to verify the supposed link.

David.

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 September 19 21:59 BST (UK) »
How do you DNA test for Downes?

Offline David Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 September 19 22:31 BST (UK) »
Track a male descendant from a point on the tree where the name has remained Downes - and compare his DNA with the Dunaways descended from that lower branch (from William, is it?). If the lineage is as asserted, the Downes DNA would also be Haplogroup R-A914 (R-BY151141).

See center branch of O'Donoghue on the Big Tree link below.

https://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=685

Offline Cathy Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 January 20 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I too am looking to find the connection to Ireland I did find one interesting piece in the book of the Dunaway family of Virginia they say they have a Darby Donnavan that appears in the county records and then he just disappears there's no more information however around the same time Darby Dunaway appeared in an adjacent county. There is records for a Darby dunnavan in Ireland also having a wife named Mary father name Jon so I'm currently digging into this to see if there's some way to match it up. We've always been told the family is Irish and in fact my DNA says I'm 78% Irish so it has to come into play somehow I'm just not sure because if you look at what's on ancestry most people have Darby Dunaway and his father as John Dunaway but their English there is a record also of I believe it is a birth record for Darby Dunaway or a marriage record and I believe it says Mary stoneham it's hard to read the writings anyways it list her husband as John Donnovan. Have you made any other connections ?

Offline David Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 January 20 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Cathy:

The name derives from the Ulster-Irish name, Donnchaidh. Some of those with the name, as with those who trace through Darby Dunaway & Mary Stoneham (The Dunaeays of Virginia), have their genetic origin tracing to the southern cos. of Munster within the O'Donoghue Septs - Donoghue being derived from the southern Irish dialects' version of Donnchaidh, 'Donnchadha'.

But along with those two southern branches of Dunaways, there, at present, appears to be two others that have their origin in Ulsterr-Irish speaking Co. Cavan.

If you're unable to connect your family to one of the existing trees online - I.e., wikitree - you will need to have a male Dunaway in your family do a yDNA test (y37 should be sufficient to make a connection to any of those four branches as represented in FamilyTreeDNA's Dunaway Project - Only if you do not have any Dunaway matches at the y37 level would there be a need to consider testing to a higher level).

Hope this helps.

David.

Offline Cathy Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 January 20 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Well I do trace it back to Derby Dunaway or Darby Dunaway however I don't see how it fits in to the Irish as everyone has his father being John who was born in England. There is also a passenger list or the arrival ticket for Darby dunnavon and his wife Mary 1674 and I wondered if it was the same person that is listed in the dunaway's from Virginia book? And if possibly that is the person in my family history. I would very much be interested in doing the DNA testing for the  Dunaway DNA. And thank you for posting the information.

Offline David Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 January 20 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Cathy:

That we carry the name as it is spelled suggests that we were living in an Ulster-Irish speaking area of Ireland. Those who lived in English a speaking provinces carry Anglicized variations of the name, variations on Donoghue. It also has to be recognized that not only was there considerable seasonal migration between England & Ireland, but that during the 17th century, ships sailing from Ireland to a port outside of English waters had to first sail to an English port to apply for a permit to sail onward. Dunaeays in England should not be unexpected.

It also needs to be recognized that war in Ireland during the 17th century led to many families being displaced - either as a direct result of the fighting in central Ireland, or as a consequence being removed from their lands as the King resettled some of his supporters into the west of Ireland. There also those displaced by the Plantation in Ulster to consider.

And to clarify - the four branches of Dunaways that we have so far identified via DMA testing are four completely unrelated branches of Dunaways - connected only by way of a shared name. Nonetheless, DNA testing puts us all in Ireland and nowhere else.

David.