Author Topic: Blyth bridge  (Read 3866 times)

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blyth bridge
« on: Friday 27 November 15 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information on the Old Mill Cottage(? former smiddy) in Blyth Bridge
I believe the Swan family lived there pre 1935
Was it ever 2 dwellings?
Who were the occupants over the years?
When was it built?
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth bridge
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 November 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Alexander is listed as the owner in the 1925 Valuations

1925 Owner Occupier   SWAN ALEXANDER HOUSE SMITHY AND LAND BLYTHBRIDGE WEST LINTON PEEBLES COUNTY VR112 / 26 / 66

But not in 1920, only a John Swan and he is listed as a Tenant of a House & Garden in West Linton not specifically Blyth/Blyth Bridge.

To find out who lived there in prior years you would have to find it in the Valuations or Census and you can do this through Scotland's People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk 

I can tell you up until about the turn of the Century this entire are was owned by the Carmichael's.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 15 08:07 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the prompt reply , Don.
I've checked the 1911 census but hadn't thought about looking at the valuation roll

Avril
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander

Offline Tarth water

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 December 15 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'll have a look and see what I can find.  I'm sure I've got a photo of the smiddy when it was still operational, complete with the blacksmith.  I'm think I've also got a picture of the cottage with its original windows, etc. 
If you look at what's left of the smiddy the door hinges are still there where the rest of the building was demolished to make room for the car park for the Old Mill Inn. 

The end of the building nearest the phone box was used during the 50s and 60s as the bakery for making the scones and cakes for the afternoon teas served in the Old Mill and in the gardens.

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 December 15 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting, thanks. Look forward to seeing pics!