Author Topic: Evan John Jones - born in Builth Wells, Treflwys, Powys 23rd September 1909.  (Read 2522 times)

Offline STAN54

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've received a request for help regarding information about a Canadian airman killed in WW2 over France.

Evan John Jones was a Sergeant serving in RAFVR* 264 Squadron and lost his life 29.5.1940 aged 31 at Dunkirk. His role was as a Wireless Operator / Air Gunner.

* Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

He is buried at Dunkirk Town cemetery: Plot 2, Row 17, Grave 15.

The airman was the son of John and Ann Jones, and husband of Janet Barr Jones of Toronto, Canada.

Ultimately my researcher friend would like to obtain this airman's service records. To obtain full records in the U.K. I believe this has to be done by family.

The reason for the research is to complete a Remembrance project by a Royal Canadian Air Force historian.

Any helped would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Evan John Jones - Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 15 15:45 GMT (UK) »

Good morning Stan

I did a bit of looking around on the web and I see you have got the forms for service records for

Evan from the WW2TALK site. Good luck with your search.

A small bit of info I came across on the ancientfaces site and that is that Evan was born in France ca 1909.

Lilybell

Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 15 04:12 GMT (UK) »
From what I read at a UK Government website, anyone can order the service records after the person has been dead 25 years.

Request for service records of deceased service personnel
Under the scheme, and in recognition of the duty of care owed to the family of the deceased subject, for a period of 25 years following the date of death of the subject and without the consent of the next of kin, MOD will disclose only:

• surname
  • forename
  • rank
  • service number
  • regiment/corps
  • place of birth
  • date of death where this occurred in service
  • the date an individual joined the service
  • the date of leaving
  • good conduct medals (for example, Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LS&GCM)), any orders of chivalry and gallantry medals (decorations of valour) awarded, some of which may have been announced in the London Gazette
After this period, and if it is held, in addition MOD will disclose without the requirement for next of kin consent:
  • the units in which he/she served
  • the dates of this service and the locations of those units
  • the ranks in which the service was carried out and details of campaign medals awarded
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records#service-records-of-deceased-service-personnel
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline STAN54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 15 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. It would still be good if we could track down someone from the family to inform them of the remembrance project that is happening in Canada.

This is being arranged by a Canadian Royal Air Force historian and his colleague, in London Ontario.

If anyone can help further I'm sure they would be grateful. I am happy to pass their direct contact details on if this would make things easier.

Offline STAN54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 February 16 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Having requested the service records from the RAF Historical Branch which only recently arrived, we have learnt that Evan John Jones was born in Builth Wells, Treflwys, Powys 23rd September 1909.

This however is recorded on the documents as:
Builtyhywells, Treflis, Brecknock.

On 1.4.1974 the name changes occurred to how they are written at the top.

If anyone can assist us further please get in touch.

FAO moderators: could you possibly copy this post into the Welsh section or shall I just go ahead and write another entry?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Evan John Jones - born in Builth Wells, Treflwys, Powys 23rd September 1909.
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 February 16 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stan,

I have just moved your topic to Breconshire in Wales.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk