Author Topic: Ancestry Change  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Leslie N

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry Change
« on: Sunday 29 November 15 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Most people will know about the changes Ancestry are making on the 14th of December, this change I feel is being forced upon us, and I am considering cancelling my subscription after many years, and I wonder what other people think? Were you aware of the changes next month?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Change
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 15 10:28 GMT (UK) »
There is already a thread about "the changes" - as usually is the case, some people are fine with it, others are not. (I can't locate it sorry)

Not sure it's any better since it's own "changes", but there is currently a good deal at FindMyPast:
Use code: BFRIDAY15 for a 50% discount on any of our subscriptions, giving you instant access to millions of family records (code expires 30/11/2015).

Offer ends 30th so you don't have much time if you want to take advantage of the offer.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 November 15 10:30 GMT (UK) »
You've had since August to get used to the changes - which are cosmetic only! ;D

It's your money; your decision.

One previous thread here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730353.0
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Leslie N

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 November 15 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the Link to what I've written about, it is much appreciated plus the other replies as well.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 November 15 11:06 GMT (UK) »
As KG says, its your decision on whether or not to cancel but would u be shooting yourself in the foot figuratively by doing so if u need access to datasets that only ancestry has? If your dislike is the family tree function, then there are numerous other options including a program on your PC. However in the case of exclusive datasets, your only other options would be limited access to the site through a local archives or library, or the original documents at the respective archives in some format. I know what my choice would be. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 15 11:12 GMT (UK) »
If you don't like the changes they've made, have a look at FindMyPast instead. It depends where your research is - the parish registers in particular differ a lot between the two sites, so pick which one has the most relevant records to you. If you want to stick with Ancestry, no harm in sending them an email with your opinion on the changes they've made...
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 November 15 11:52 GMT (UK) »
.    If you want to stick with Ancestry, no harm in sending them an email with your opinion on the changes they've made...         

I think that will be a waste of your time, as KG says, people have been aware of these changes since August and they are moving to the new look on the 14th December, so are unlikely to take any notice of complaints made now.

Like changes on other sites, people moan at first but either get used to it or go elsewhere.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 November 15 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry and FindMyPast (and indeed Windows 10) are top heavy with 'features' that are of little or no use to experienced users, but geared to the new kids who expect everything done for them and handed to them on a plate ::)

Once you learn to ignore/bypass all the dross the underlying systems are incredibly good. I'm sure the majority of us would have achieved very little without them.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Leslie N

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 15 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mike for your reply.
I'm also about to sign up to Find My Past, where my attention was brought to a 50% discount by Ruskie in this thread which closes today, my thanks for that.