Author Topic: Is William Roberts and son Samuel, Mithian Downs, Saint Agnes, Cornwall, family  (Read 6063 times)

Offline JohanVisser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kindly help me or direct me where I can confirm the following, which at the moment is a theory until you or someone else can confirm it for me: It seems that my great-great grandfather Samuel Roberts came from a town called Mithian Downs, Saint Agnes, Cornwall, United Kingdom.  This is how I figured it out...
 Known facts are:
 1. Samuel Roberts (1841 - 01 May 1915) was born in England and died in Knysna, South Africa.
 2. His year of birth (1841) was confirmed by both his death certificate and his marriage certificate (Married in Knysna on 20 September 1867 at the age of 26)... both these South African documents are in my possession (The two documents do not give the month and date of birth... only 1841).
An emigrant ship, the Eclipse, arrived in Cape Town on 27 November 1849 from England. On board was William Roberts, his wife and 5 children. (http://www.sagenealogy.co.za/Eclipse.htm).
In the 1841 UK census I found:
 Piece: HO107/149/2 Place: Pydar -Cornwall Enumeration District: 8
 Civil Parish: St. Agnes Ecclesiastical Parish: -
 Folio: 49 Page: 6
 Address: Mithian Downs
 ROBERTS Louisa F 8 Cornwall
 ROBERTS William M 6 Cornwall
 ROBERTS James M 5 Cornwall
 ROBERTS Samuel M 5m Cornwall
In this UK census (1841) Samuel is 5 months old, meaning that he was about 8 years old in 1849 when he arrived in South Africa with his parents, sister and brothers and it corresponds with 26 years old when he got married in 1867 and it also corresponds with his year of birth 1841.
I’ve checked the 1851 UK census and unless I've made a mistake the same family does not appear in it... confirming my theory that they left the UK in 1849 for South Africa.
Five children arrived in South Africa, but the 1841 UK census shows only 4 children... Samuel being the youngest at 5 months old. I suspect that between 1841 (UK census) and 1849 (arrival in SA) another child was born after Samuel. Interesting to note that Samuel’s father was a copper miner. Even this corresponds if I am looking for a reason why they came to SA... and the answer is possibly in Wikipedia “Historically tin mining was important in the Cornish economy, becoming increasingly significant during the High Middle Ages and expanding greatly during the 19th century when rich copper mines were also in production. In the mid-19th century, however, the tin and copper mines entered a period of decline.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornwall)
Please help me to proof beyond any doubt that this is (or is not) our Roberts ancestors. (My mother is Jacoba Klomp born Roberts, and passed away on 24 August 2014 aged 78). Kind regards and many thanks.
Johan Visser
Pretoria
South Africa

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is William Roberts and son Samuel, Mithian Downs, Saint Agnes, Cornwall, family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 15 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!  ;D

I would try Cornwall-OPC-Database (.org).

That shows this baptism:
8th April 1832  at St Agnes
Louisa Verran Roberts, daughter of William (a miner) and Mary Ann, of Mithian Downs.

and 

21st Jan 1834  at St Agnes
William Roberts, daughter of William (a miner) and Mary Ann, of Mithian Downs.

Potential marriage?
5th September 1831  at Perranzabuloe
William Roberts, bachelor, of St Agnes
Mary Ann Trevethan, spinster, otp (of this parish)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mogwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Is William Roberts and son Samuel, Mithian Downs, Saint Agnes, Cornwall, family
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 November 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth registration for a Samuel Roberts Jan-Mar quarter, Truro registration district, Cornwall, volume 9, page 317.    This would fit with Samuel being about 5 months old at the time of the 1841 census.   Truro includes the eccesiastical parish of St Agnes.

There is also another Samuel Roberts birth registration Oct-Dec quarter 1841, also Truro, Cornwall, volume 9, page 308, but this cannot be him unless you have the wrong family, because he would not be on the 1841 census.  Assume you have searched for the second Samuel to check what happened to him?  Bear in mind that the second Samuel could have travelled to SA at a later time.

Possibly you would need to obtain the birth certificate to verify which of these two Samuels is the one that travelled to SA in 1848, i.e with father William and mother Mary, (unless we can find other supporting evidence without having to pay for a certificate, such as a baptism record)

I see while I've been typing this, KGarrard has found a couple of baptisms in the Cornwall OPC database.   Maybe Samuel will be on there.

p.s.  I believe requests shouldn't be put here on this thread, so I think a mod will be along shortly to move your post to a more approrpiate place.

Offline JohanVisser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 November 15 18:49 GMT (UK) »
I made a mistake posting here and immediately reported myself to the mod hoping that my request be moved to an appropriate page... but it hasn't happened yet. Thank you kindly KGarrad and mogwood for the information thus far. I appreciate your efforts and time. Regards. Johan

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 November 15 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm not finding Samuel or James on Cornwall OPC?

By the way - I hope you two don't complain about mis-transcriptions?!
You both managed to spell my name incorrectly! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JohanVisser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
You're too fast for me... I've edited and corrected your name minutes ago. Sorry. Best regards and thanks a million.

Offline JohanVisser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 November 15 19:25 GMT (UK) »
How do I apply and pay for certificates? Secondly, the 1851 census is also key... I could not 100% be sure that this family is not on that census because the family might have moved out of that district, etc. You're thoughts and input on this? (Can I also pay someone to investigate records? of which family board the Eclipse in 1849? Who will that be?

Offline mogwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 November 15 19:39 GMT (UK) »
By the way - I hope you two don't complain about mis-transcriptions?!
You both managed to spell my name incorrectly! ;D ;D

oops   :-[    so sorry KGarrad.     Just washed my hands and can't do a thing with 'em   ;D

Offline mogwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 November 15 19:45 GMT (UK) »

"  ....  post to a more approrpiate place. "

see what I mean ...  ;D ;D