Author Topic: Emma Spruce nee Hyatt  (Read 12489 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Spruce nee Hyatt
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you may be interested in reading the late Nick Vine Hall’s books “Tracing Your Family History in Australia” and "Tracing your Family History in Australia – Bibliography”
ISBN 1 86404 384 9 and ISBN 1 86484 385 7   or  there's ISBN-10 1764040718  and ISBN-13 978-186494715 

Also,  there’s his CD Parish Registers in Australia 1787 – 1990  ISBN 186404 398 8   

http://www.smh.com.au/news/obituaries/lifetime-interest-in-genealogy-was-sparked-by-a-family-link-tojames-cook/2006/11/13/1163266477542.html?page=fullpage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Vine_Hall

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/research-topics/family-history/how-to-start-your-family-history  NSW State Records lists the book among their suggested Finding Aids.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs200.aspx National Archives lists the book in their fact sheet as well. 

Good Luck with your ongoing family history research.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I am in NSW Australia, and if I were to remit funds to the UK  perhaps I would contact our Society of Australian Genealogists…… Perhaps there’s a similar / reciprocal arrangement for remitting funds to Australia… “and to our sterling cheque service (an economical way to send small amounts of money to the UK)”
http://www.sag.org.au/joining/benefits-of-membership.html
http://www.sag.org.au/helping-you/sterling-cheques.html

I can confirm that the Uniting Church in Australia does have facilities for electronic deposits to be made directly into their bank accounts.  I am not sure if their archives office at North Parramatta has a separate sub-account specifically for ‘look ups’ but I leave it up to our OP to follow up as I notice the thread has been marked with a green tick, ready to be moved across to the completed board.

Add
http://www.sag.org.au/helping-you/research-guides.html?task=view&id=48

Joint Copy Project

The early church registrations now held by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages are not the originals, but are returns sent to it at a later date. Because of the risks of mistake or omission in the copying process, the original church registers are always worth checking. These registers remain with the relevant church authorities, and for more than 25 years SAG has been working with the National Library of Australia and the Mitchell Library to microfilm them and make them available to researchers at these three repositories.

Most inner-Sydney churches have been filmed, as have all registers of the Anglican Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn. Many Roman Catholic and Presbyterian registers have also been microfilmed. A cut-off date of about 1940 has been applied to many of these registers for privacy reasons.

Advantages of church registers
......... researchers should always locate any relevant church registers event to ensure information recorded at the time has not been omitted from or incorrectly transcribed to the civil records.

Whether you order bdm certificates from NSW BDM or from NSW BDM Official Transcription Agents, you are ordering copy of the NSW BDM registrations.   If the BDM ceremony was conducted by a member of the clergy, then the original registration will be in the Church registry.    NSW church marriages from 1 March 1856 were basically two ceremonies being conducted concurrently by the one person ----the civil ceremony and the church ceremony.  Until about 1895 the NSW BDM's Registrar General in Sydney was usually receiving only the summary report of the civil ceremony from the clergy.   If the ceremony was conducted by a civil registrar, then there's obviously no reason to seek out a Church registration, but most 19th century NSW marriages were conducted by clergy, and from March 1856 those clergy needed to be licenced by NSW BDM to conduct the civil requirements and not just the ecclesiastical requirements of their own denomination. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicola,
This is another link to the Archives http://www.utc.edu.au/campus/synod-archives/

It says you can do your own research (at limited times).   It is not too far from me so I could try pottering around but it may not be until the New Year (pretty busy at the moment).

Give me a nudge (and perhaps send me the MC) to remind me to have a look in early January if still searching.

cheers,
   Ros
(JM didn't mean to offend - she was leaping to the defence of her many rellies in the church)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 05:30 GMT (UK) »

Hi Sue, I'd like "kill off" Emma Birch, meaning it would be nice to find out what happened to her after the births of her two children.  She and John Hyatt would appear to possibly have parted company at some point, or that's my interpretation of the newspaper ad from 1877.  Mind you its just possible she died young, along with son John, and the deaths were registered, at which point John hooked up with his brother after his brother's wife died in 1882.

She may have left John and befriended another chap and assumed his name without marriage.
I cannot find any further reference to her :-\

The newspaper advertisement could be interpreted as you say, but sometimes people just lost track of each other and such notices were placed at the time of serious illness or death in the family.

We have no way of knowing whether or not she responded or replied :P

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 14:27 GMT (UK) »
With all these Spruce and Birch it is a real family tree. The offspring may be like a forest. ;D

I am going to see if I can find the original registers at Raymond Terrace, lets hope they contain the missing parents names.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Just a possibility for the death of Emma HYATT

EMMA HEAD  AGE 40 YEARS DIED SYDNEY PATRICKS PLAIN 9363/1876
Patricks Plains is Singleton area of Hunter Valley halfway between Murrurundi and Raymond Terrace.

If she died alone the name could be completely wrong, the other missing info like parents names leads me to believe she wasn't known to the informant.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 15:09 GMT (UK) »
With all these Spruce and Birch it is a real family tree. The offspring may be like a forest. ;D

;D ;D

I am going to see if I can find the original registers at Raymond Terrace, lets hope they contain the missing parents names.

Neil

Thanks Neil, its much appreciated.  The two Hyatt brothers who emigrated to Australia and their descendants have been causing me headaches for years. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Just a possibility for the death of Emma HYATT

EMMA HEAD  AGE 40 YEARS DIED SYDNEY PATRICKS PLAIN 9363/1876
Patricks Plains is Singleton area of Hunter Valley halfway between Murrurundi and Raymond Terrace.

If she died alone the name could be completely wrong, the other missing info like parents names leads me to believe she wasn't known to the informant.

Neil

Interesting, its a possiblity as the surname does get written with some strange variations.

She may have left John and befriended another chap and assumed his name without marriage.
I cannot find any further reference to her :-\

The newspaper advertisement could be interpreted as you say, but sometimes people just lost track of each other and such notices were placed at the time of serious illness or death in the family.

We have no way of knowing whether or not she responded or replied :P

Sue

Sue, that is what I suspect may have happened.  Unfortunately I've not been able to pickup any births with an Emma Birch/Burch as the mother but doesn't mean anything.  As with many of the wider Hyatt family spouses, it wouldn't be out of character in the UK or Australia. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicola,
This is another link to the Archives http://www.utc.edu.au/campus/synod-archives/

It says you can do your own research (at limited times).   It is not too far from me so I could try pottering around but it may not be until the New Year (pretty busy at the moment).

Give me a nudge (and perhaps send me the MC) to remind me to have a look in early January if still searching.

cheers,
   Ros
(JM didn't mean to offend - she was leaping to the defence of her many rellies in the church)

Thanks Ros, Neil Todd had Pm'd me to say, as he does visit RT, he would see what he could do.  However, I do very much appreciate the offer. :)