Author Topic: Emma Spruce nee Hyatt  (Read 12460 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Spruce nee Hyatt
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM, I'll try contacting them but it'll very much depend on whether they'll check Emma's parent's names for free or whether they require a fee, since the latter is a bit impossible from the UK.  With a bit of luck if I word it in a particular way and they confirm the details, it'll be obvious that they have checked the original and not just agreed with me (I'm a bit cynical about getting things checked for free, but that's 'cos over here the CofE and many non-denominational cemeteries do like to charge for everything. ;)

and my response
Well, as I understand it, in NSW, Church Records are just that, Church Records.   They are not automatically Public Records.    I see nothing wrong in today's custodians of Church Records expecting to collect funds for the upkeep and preservation of their organisation's private records.   I see nothing wrong in today's custodians of Official Records expecting to collect funds for the upkeep of their records either ..... so NSW BDM collects fees/charges for providing copy of their historic BDM records, NSW State Records collects fees/charges for providing copy of their archival records ....  Family History Groups of volunteers have fees and charges for the services they provide in searching their archival materials ....
and
....OK I've taken several deep breaths after reading this reply because to say I was insensed by it would be an understatement.
Just because someone says they hope that there wouldn't be a charge for checking already known information, does not mean that individual expects everything for free and wouldn't dream of paying out for things.....
and
(JM didn't mean to offend - she was leaping to the defence of her many rellies in the church)

Thanks Ros,  however, I don't believe I offended, nor do I believe I was defending my many rellies, either those in various denominations or those whose careers were as NSW public servants in the NSW BDM.     I am simply very NSW centric, and I believe I have a fair understanding of the processes and protocols prevailing in various eras in NSW in the 19th Century.   

On one occasion that I was at the Archives at North Parramatta I was approached for a donation before I had entered the storeroom.   Fortunately I had already prepared my envelope, and I also located several significant ledgers that had been thought lost.  These seem to have been holding open some of the inner doors.   I hope that the shelving has been strengthened, and that there is now some logical order to the various items held in those Archives. 

Cheers,  JM 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Now I may ruffle a few local feathers and cause some laughter among others in Port Stephens area BUT.

There is a well known family local to this area that have been here since day dot. Their spelling, reading and writing have somewhat been in question since that time. If one of them had had a daughter around 1845 reference # 2230/1846 V18462230 32A and her name was EMMA then her surname could have been written transcribed or even spelt wrong into many different variations. The BLANCH family had just such a daughter.

Now most of the children did not attend school regularly in this area the local schools were a bit far flung and arduous in the least to get to but some of the BLANCHE/BLANCH childrens name have been inscribed on the roles. If she received an education which I doubt, she may have known how to spell Blanch but she may have written BIRCH instead......maybe.
 :-\
Neil
JM do you know where that reference number of the baptism is located?? :P
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 21:45 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Ros,  however, I don't believe I offended, nor do I believe I was defending my many rellies, either those in various denominations or those whose careers were as NSW public servants in the NSW BDM.     I am simply very NSW centric, and I believe I have a fair understanding of the processes and protocols prevailing in various eras in NSW in the 19th Century.   

Cheers,  JM

I read nothing offensive in the helpful suggestions either and indeed, when it comes to NSW history geography, and "processes" JM is our expert. :)

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 21:47 GMT (UK) »

1846 is the year, often the year of the baptism, but if the date of birth was also noted on the Early Church Record, then it can be the year of birth.
2230 is the line number in that Early Church Record
V32A is the Volume number. 

The Early Church Records were not always bound up into volumes.   The NSW BDM website has some history background at its live link at the bottom left of its home page :  http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/about-us/history-of-the-registry.aspx

Re Volume 32A :
My CDs gave up years ago, shortly after I gave my reader away to a family history group, so I cannot give exact parish for that reference.   

There are RChatters around who can  :)   I can confirm that it is C of E,  as at NSW State Records online
 http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-4/short-guide-4
and
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-4/volumes-1-123-1/volumes-1-123

Some call centre operators may not have detailed answers as sometimes I have become aware of explanations re the "V"  .... "V" as in "Vital" rather than "V" as in Volume. 

My trusty reference book is currently on loan to my sister in central Australia.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 22:25 GMT (UK) »
This is another link to the Archives http://www.utc.edu.au/campus/synod-archives/

Hi Ros,   

That is a good link.    I notice that they  note that they have a fee schedule now....

Fees: The fee schedule is available on request. There are concessions for members of the UCHS.

http://nswact.uca.org.au/community/uniting-church-historical-society/

Cheers,  JM

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 03 December 15 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Now I may ruffle a few local feathers and cause some laughter among others in Port Stephens area BUT. There is a well known family local to this area that have been here since day dot. Their spelling, reading and writing have somewhat been in question since that time. If one of them had had a daughter around 1845 reference # 2230/1846 V18462230 32A and her name was EMMA then her surname could have been written transcribed or even spelt wrong into many different variations. The BLANCH family had just such a daughter :-\ Neil
My CDs gave up years ago, shortly after I gave my reader away to a family history group, so I cannot give exact parish for that reference.   
There are RChatters around who can :)  Cheers,  JM

Baptism:
Emma BLANCH 1846 #V18462230 32A
Father: Thomas
Mother: Hanna
Parish: Australian Agricultural Company; Dungog; Eldon; Stroud; Uffington, Church of England

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 December 15 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Merlin,   

That makes good sense  :) AA Co ....

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 03 December 15 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Merlin well at least THAT Emma BLANCH was in the right area for a wedding at Raymond Terrace.

Neil
PS
Had to drive to Raymond Terrace anyway today but the place was deserted, will give them a call.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 03 December 15 05:39 GMT (UK) »
I just made contact with the Uniting Church at Raymond Terrace and as JM suspected the registers were sent away for proper storage. So they are most likely in Sydney.

Neil