Author Topic: Emma Spruce nee Hyatt  (Read 12483 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Spruce nee Hyatt
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 03 December 15 07:49 GMT (UK) »
JM gave such an interesting account of the old archives that I was even more tempted to visit them. 

I must admit that I would prefer to potter around the old archives ... dusty old tomes propping up doors.  ;D  However it seems that they have upgraded and modernised the archives so I suspect I will be fighting with microfilms and old microfilm readers ... ?

Well who knows ...?   :D

It's all part of the experience of uncovering our history.

I am appropriately chastened - sorry to have presumed to explain on your behalf JM... (you know I love and admire you)

cheers,
  Ros

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 03 December 15 07:54 GMT (UK) »
 :)  I love these Santas ..... 
This one best  :P  :P 
no no no I am mistooken ....
this one best  :D  :D  :D
or  ::)  ::)  ::)
I cannot make up my mind so probably I should settle for this one  :-\  :-\  :-\

Anyway, I do hope so Ros, (that the facilities have improved) although they do have funding issues....  so be prepared .... and from memory Kingswood 'canteen' facilities are 5 star in comparison , so continue to take packed lunch, and a thermos.... and perhaps a fold up chair.... and make sure you have their fee schedule sorted ..... ;)  ;)  ;)

:)  ;)  :D  ;D  >:(  :(  :o  8)  ???  ::)  :P  :-[  :-X  :-\  :-*  :'(

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 03 December 15 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I once told one of the local BLANCH mob, that they were always in Hot Water, it came as a shock to pour cold water on the idea. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:D :D
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 03 December 15 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I just made contact with the Uniting Church at Raymond Terrace and as JM suspected the registers were sent away for proper storage. So they are most likely in Sydney.

Neil

Many thanks for checking for me Neil, much apprecated.  Oh well, I shall have to see if I can prove she is one and the same as Emma Maria Hyatt via some other way.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 03 December 15 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I think Ros, our very experienced Archive visitor, is going to try and get through the NEW archives in the New Year?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 03 December 15 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes I will.
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 03 December 15 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ros, its much appreciated.  :)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 03 December 15 23:54 GMT (UK) »
At the new address  :) still at North Parramatta, but off the other side of Pennant Hills Road ....

The bulk of the records of the Synod (and its predecessor denominations) for Synod, presbytery and local churches, as well as baptismal and marriage registers, maps and plans, are in storage but will be available for retrieval at a fee and with sufficient notice

http://www.utc.edu.au/campus/synod-archives/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 04 December 15 00:46 GMT (UK) »
The bulk of the records of the Synod (and its predecessor denominations) for Synod, presbytery and local churches, as well as baptismal and marriage registers, maps and plans, are in storage but will be available for retrieval at a fee and with sufficient notice

Yes I will.

Ros don't worry about it, its not worth any expenditure as it is, for me, only a sideline.  I'm not in a position to be able to cover anything spent on my behalf. 

If the fees charged are anything like the parochial fees charged by the Church of England for access to registers still held by incumbants, then they are, in mine and other people's views, somewhat high at £28 for up to an hour.

Before I'm possibly criticised for apparently expecting something to be looked up for free, although they are not public records the vast majority of England & Wales church records of any denomination are held by county or city records offices who do not charge fees for access, only for copies.  So if someone is visiting an archives for their own research and can do a quick lookup, then the only cost to them is their time.  Many Archives also, and I have been a recipient of this in the past, do a quick lookup for people where something needs to be clarified.  Normally something that takes up to 15 minutes maximum, after which fees would be required when the requester isn't onsite.  This is why in the circumstances a fee would not be expected to be paid when trying to clarify something in an individual church register where most, if not all, the information is already known because it wouldn't be considered as "research".

I appreciate things are different in Australia, but have to admit I hadn't realised entirely how  different in relation to access to historical church registers.  I certainly wasn't looking out for a church register lookup when I started this post and, in the circumstances, I don't want anyone having to put themselves out financially for something that is, for me at least, not essential to my own directline research.

Thanks Ros for offering, but please don't worry.  I shall have to try and find something else to try and clarify the missing information.

I'm grateful to all for their help and advice, but I don't want to put anyone out any further.