Author Topic: Emma Spruce nee Hyatt  (Read 12476 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Spruce nee Hyatt
« Reply #45 on: Friday 04 December 15 01:22 GMT (UK) »
NLA has some registers from the Presbyterian church in Raymond Terrace but unfortunately only for mid 20th century.

I can't remember if this has already been suggested but perhaps an approach to the Raymond Terrace Historical Society might be worth a try, although I  would think it unlikely as has already been pointed out, the registers seem long gone from the town.   :-\

http://www.sketchleycottage.org.au/

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 04 December 15 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Link to RT Historical Society.

http://www.sketchleycottage.org.au/research.html

I will attempt a visit when I can, probably in the New Year.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 05 December 15 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judith for the suggestion and Neil for your kind offer, its much appreciated.  There's no hurry this line has been mulling along for some years. :)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 05 December 15 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I emailed the Raymond Terrace Historical society research section today and asked for clarification on their holdings of early church records.

I may get an answer next week sometime.

Neil

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 05 December 15 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Neil. :)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 21:41 GMT (UK) »
After contact with RT Historical Society and getting many new unrelated facts, we are no further along with the parentage of Emily/Emma HYATT/HYETT.

So it looks like a lookup of the now in storage old Wesleyan Church Records, just to refresh.

Marriage 1887 Wesleyan Church Raymond Terrace NSW between Herbert SPRUCE and Emily/Emma HYATT/HYETT.

Neil

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Neil for all your help.

To be honest I'm inclined to leave trying to access the original marriage register and see whether anything else can be found to totally confirm that Emma/Emily Hyett was Emma Maria Hyatt, particularly as she is listed with Maria as a middle name on some of her children's birth certificates.  Apart from the fact I suspect the Uniting Church fees may be higher than I'd want to cover the cost for, its also possible that she may not even have known what her mother's name actually was depending on when Emma Birch left the family.  If she was very young, and to date I can't find anything to indicate when other than that newspaper advert from 1877 but it doesn't mention any of the children or her husband, then she may not have known for definate and left off the information.

I think for now I'm just going to follow the family, and some of the other Hyatt cousins who emigrated, and see whether anything shows up to completely confirm the connection.  Albeit I think now it is very likely they are one and the same.

Thanks to all for their help and guidance.

Nicola

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 23:16 GMT (UK) »
..... its also possible that she may not even have known what her mother's name actually was depending on when Emma Birch left the family.  If she was very young, and to date I can't find anything to indicate when other than that newspaper advert from 1877 but it doesn't mention any of the children or her husband, then she may not have known for definate and left off the information.

May I assure you that the clergy were not permitted to conduct the marriage ceremony unless they had the required information about the parents of the bride and groom, particularly if either party were not yet 21 years of age.    The clergy recorded the information, but until about 1895 the clergy with-held that information from the civil registration processes.  One of my elderly rellies reminds me that :   If the bride or groom were not yet 21 years of age and sought to marry, but the clergy were not confident of the information being provided, then the clergy could contact the NSW BDM Registrar General's office, who in turn would contact (within their department) the Guardian of Minors.     

It is important to remember that from  1 March 1856, the clergy in NSW were not just conducting the sacred ceremony of marriage, but they were conducting the civil ceremony as well.   So if the NSW BDM Reg General withdrew their civil authority (licence) to marry ...... 

If you were to send an email to the Uniting Church Archives, asking for a quote then I would expect them to provide you with a quote.

Here's that 1877 cutting
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/70597934  Town and Country 6 Jan 1877….

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I have just re-read the newspaper cutting, and I read it as 

IF this should meet the eye of EMMA BYATT, maiden name Emma BURCH, last heard of at Liverpool or Breeza Plains, write to your mother, Post Office, Binalong.

So I read it as BYATT, not HYATT....

BYATT is a surname  :) and of course Liverpool and Breeza Plains are still in the same location and still in the news  :)

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.