Author Topic: David and Ann Godfrey  (Read 1596 times)

Offline ~Tricia~

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
David and Ann Godfrey
« on: Tuesday 01 December 15 02:52 GMT (UK) »
This is one family name where I have hit a wall.

I am looking for any help in finding a lead to a Parish or area in which David Godfrey and wife Ann might have resided in England. I have searched many of the links provided on this site already. I have found history books, based in the US, in which the family was was mentioned. The only definite info given was they were from ENGLAND.

David was born on August 28, 1823 in England
Ann (unknown surname) was born December 29, 1823
Their births were from records in America, such as death certificates, cemetery stones,  and obituaries. They were not obtained by birth records.
I have found only one census record in 1841 that is questionable/possible.
I also found a baptism  that would have him baptized at a year old.

I have not been able to find a marriage record.

David and Ann had their first son, William David, who was born in England circa 1846/7.

I have the immigration record for which they arrived in the US in June of 1848 and settled in Lockport, Niagra, NY.

Further children:
Elizabeth b.19 Sept, 1849 NY
Zachariah b. 30 Mar 1853 NY
Mary Ann b 14 Apr 1858 MI

By 1860 Census the family was living in Scipio,Hillsdale, MI
At some point William disappeared from records. I suspect he died, but I have no verification.

By 1870 Census, the family was living in Manistee, Manistee, MI.

David d. 21 Sept, 1899 Manistee, MI
Ann d. 7 May 1891 Manistee, MI

~If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance~-- George Bernard Shaw

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: David and Ann Godfrey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 03:08 GMT (UK) »
the only thing i can find that matches is this marriage,,,but there are 4 possible spouses,,2 of which are Anns.

First name(s)   DAVID
Last name   GODFREY
Marriage quarter   4
Marriage year   1846
Registration month   -
   DAVID GODFREY married one of these people
EMMA GOSS, ANN RIGNAL, SUSANNAH AYERS, ANN BASS
District   ST. IVES
District number   -
County   Huntingdonshire
Country   England

and a birth of a William Godfey  b 1847  St Ives,Huntingdonshire.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Well there are 3 David Godfrey 1841 entries coming up in Huntingdonshire but none of them even close to the age you want  :-\

One is 73, one 45 and one 3.

I suppose he needn't have come from there.  There is one in Nottinghamshire age 20 in 1841 but he isn't with any other Godfreys.

Maybe the possible Ann's would be easier to look for in 1841.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Ann Rignal b abt 1821 is on the 1841 census in Wisbech. There is a Non-Conformist baptism for an Ann Rignal born 29 Dec 1823 parents William and Elizabeth , baptism place Bluntisham , Huntingdonshire. ( entered in register 11 Mar 1833 ). I have viewed the entry in the register, not just the transcript.

Looks like the 1846 marriage could be the one.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 This family from the 1841 may be worth looking at, as the David aged 15-19 has a brother called Zachariah and I see this is a name given to one of your David's children. Also the parents names of William & Elizabeth seem to be carried into your family.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M79P-KBR

The family in 1851

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKVL-5MK6
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes good call with the Zachariah and looks like the right Ann too with that exact same birth date  :D
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ~Tricia~

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 This family from the 1841 may be worth looking at, as the David aged 15-19 has a brother called Zachariah and I see this is a name given to one of your David's children. Also the parents names of William & Elizabeth seem to be carried into your family.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M79P-KBR

The family in 1851

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKVL-5MK6

~~
Oh my goodness!! In all my years of researching, I have never found this family! How crazy is that! Thanks so much! I will see if I can find anything further on them.

Ann Rignal b abt 1821 is on the 1841 census in Wisbech. There is a Non-Conformist baptism for an Ann Rignal born 29 Dec 1823 parents William and Elizabeth , baptism place Bluntisham , Huntingdonshire. ( entered in register 11 Mar 1833 ). I have viewed the entry in the register, not just the transcript.

Looks like the 1846 marriage could be the one.

~~I have always wondered about this marriage. Both my David and Ann died in Michigan, USA, but these two above, died in England.  :-\. I never caught the baptism date before. Interesting...

Thanks you everyone! I appreciate your help. I will look again and see if there is something I missed.

~If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance~-- George Bernard Shaw

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 16:02 GMT (UK) »
The marriage on this page of Mary Smith née Rignal to John Bunting in Hillsdale, MI, in 1868 might be of interest:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gl0/

Mary was born in Huntingdonshire, and the witnesses are named John and Sarah Godfrey
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Ann Rignal b abt 1821 is on the 1841 census in Wisbech. There is a Non-Conformist baptism for an Ann Rignal born 29 Dec 1823 parents William and Elizabeth , baptism place Bluntisham , Huntingdonshire. ( entered in register 11 Mar 1833 ).

The 1841 census I gave is incorrect , but there is an Ann Rignale , aged approx. 15 in Bluntisham with her mother Elizabeth who looks more likely.

You mention that you have the deaths in England of the David and Ann Godfrey from the 1846 marriage . I can see a death in 1848 for a David Godfrey in Huntingdonshire but from newspaper reports he was 72 and I can't see Ann at all. I'm probably missing something.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk