Author Topic: DAVID BROWN (1751-1834) - Last Will & Testament  (Read 2078 times)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DAVID BROWN (1751-1834) - Last Will & Testament
« on: Tuesday 01 December 15 04:12 GMT (UK) »
My 4th ggrandfather died in Selkirk 22/8/1834 and was buried in Auld Kirkyard, Selkirk. I am endeavouring to track down his Will, but with little success at this stage.  Has anyone any suggestions as to where I could direct my enquiries?
Thanks,  Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DAVID BROWN (1751-1834) - Last Will & Testament
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Had a look on www.scotlandspeople but nothing how do you know he left a will ?
Rosie

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Rosie, I meant to say that I couldn't pick up anything from Scotlands People either.  The only reason that I believe that there may have been a Will is because he is described as a Portioner on his headstone and I understand that that was a land owner.  I was hoping that he needed and had a Will to deal with disposal of land upon his death. 
Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 09:44 GMT (UK) »
A portioner may not have owned a great deal of land. If he had a son, the land would have passed to him without the need for any indication in a will. The Register of Sasines records the transfer of land and there should be something there. Was he a portioner at the time of his death? Sometimes land was sold in the person's lifetime, but they are described as "portioner" in an earlier inscription on a gravestone commemorating the death of a wife or child while he was still in ownership of the land.

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you GR2; interesting information.  Research into Register of Sasines is all new to me so should provide a good challenge.  I assume that, if in fact grandfather was a property owner, it may be possible to find such information as property address and who he purchased/inherited the property from? I've had a bit of a look at searching the Register on line and must say that it looks a bit daunting at this early stage  :-[     Thanks, Bill