Author Topic: Wrexham: Ruthin Road Cemetery - DUTTON  (Read 2553 times)

Offline jeanberry50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wrexham: Ruthin Road Cemetery - DUTTON
« on: Tuesday 01 December 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone can do a look up for me both burial records and MI and if possible a photograph of the gravestone if one exists. It would be interesting to see if he was buried alone or with family members.  I know his wife Mary remarried in the 4th q of 1893 the following year of George’s death to a Robert Hughes Registered in Wrexham but that is all I know.
The request is for a Sergeant George (Edward) Dutton I believe from newspaper reports he was buried at this cemetery on the 13 January 1882. He a policeman and was the keeper of the Bridewell Wrexham.
The newspaper article states ‘The funeral took place yesterday (Friday) at 2 p.m., the remains which were interred in Ruthin Road Cemetery, being followed to the grave by a large detachment of the police force. Clubbers, members of the Fire Brigade, and a number of the general public’ and this newspaper the Wrexham Advertiser was dated the 14th January 1882.
George appeared to have dropped the Edward but it would be interesting to find out if it is dropped on his burial records etc.
I was wondering if anyone can do a look up for me both burial records and MI and if possible a photograph of the gravestone if one exists. It would be interesting to see if he was buried alone or with family members.  I know his wife Mary remarried in the 4th q of 1893 the following year of George’s death to a Robert Hughes Registered in Wrexham but that is all I know.
The request is for a Sergeant George (Edward) Dutton I believe from newspaper reports he was buried at this cemetery on the 13 January 1882. He a policeman and was the keeper of the Bridewell Wrexham.
The newspaper article states ‘The funeral took place yesterday (Friday) at 2 p.m., the remains which were interred in Ruthin Road Cemetery, being followed to the grave by a large detachment of the police force. Clubbers, members of the Fire Brigade, and a number of the general public’ and this newspaper the Wrexham Advertiser was dated the 14th January 1882.
George appeared to have dropped the Edward but it would be interesting to find out if it is dropped on his burial records etc.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons-Galway Ire.+ Lanc's,: Hagan-Mayo, Ire: Price, Wheeler, Hughes-Birmingham: Freeman-Kenilworth Warwick:  Cooper-Glossop, Norfolk: Hall, Wilson-Cambridgeshire:  Domville/Domvile/de Domville-Lanc's+Cheshire+ Wirral+France: de Brinstage, Venables, Brereton, de Legh, Savage, Troutbeck, Keighley, Carrington: Massey, de Mobberely, Warburton, Lycester: Sudwoth, Twist, Lions, Broadhust-Cheshire: Sneyde-Bradwell.Keele:Shaw, Broadhurst, Baker, Baguley, Owen, Cross-Lanc's

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Wrexham: Ruthin Road Cemetery - DUTTON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello
there is a George Dutton, abode County Buildings, buried 13th January aged 45, listed in the Denbigh burial transcriptions for the parish of Wrexham.
hope this helps
Mar :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 23:00 GMT (UK) »
You can also search the cemetery records online here

http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/community/genealogy/cemeteries_search/CemeteriesIndexSearchForm.cfm

but he doesn't seem to be listed.

Might be a good idea to contact the cemetery to ask them to confirm as the newspaper suggests one thing and their records don't.

http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/env_services/community_services/wrexham_cemetery.htm#contact

If he is buried there, they should be able to confirm whether a headstone exists

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jeanberry50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mar and Dawnsh,
Strange that they have his age as 45 but I doubt there will be another George Dutton passing away at the County Building around the same dates. One of the newspaper cuttings states he was 47 and George was born 23 May 1835,

I have taken your advise Dawnsh and have sent an e mail to the cemetery.  Thanks again for your guidance.

Jean
Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons-Galway Ire.+ Lanc's,: Hagan-Mayo, Ire: Price, Wheeler, Hughes-Birmingham: Freeman-Kenilworth Warwick:  Cooper-Glossop, Norfolk: Hall, Wilson-Cambridgeshire:  Domville/Domvile/de Domville-Lanc's+Cheshire+ Wirral+France: de Brinstage, Venables, Brereton, de Legh, Savage, Troutbeck, Keighley, Carrington: Massey, de Mobberely, Warburton, Lycester: Sudwoth, Twist, Lions, Broadhust-Cheshire: Sneyde-Bradwell.Keele:Shaw, Broadhurst, Baker, Baguley, Owen, Cross-Lanc's

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 19:51 GMT (UK) »
There are no online records for the Ruthin Rd Cemetery.The link that has been offered here is for the Ruabon Rd Cemetery.The Graves in the Ruthin Rd Cemetery were cleared in the 1800s.Clwyd FHS have a transcribed booklet of MIs for the Ruthin Rd Cemetery.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jeanberry50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi William
Thank you very much for the information.  I was thinking that the newspaper report had the name of the road spelt incorrectly.  Obviously this isn't so.

I don't suppose anyone on here has access to the Clwyd FHS Mi's that could do a look up for me.
It would be appreciated if anyone can help on this.

Regards Jean

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 15 00:47 GMT (UK) »
It might be helpful for you to read  this thread;
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=735666.0

Regards
William Russell Jones
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 December 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
The Ruabon Road cemetery opened in 1876 and all "new" plots were opened there , Ruthin Road was still used for a few years for existing plot owners.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jeanberry50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 December 15 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for their help. 
I have however found out the following information, so I thought it may be useful to anyone else who is searching for similar records as I have been looking for, in particular the  MI’s for Ruthin Road Cemetery and what has happened to the cemetery.
Wrexham Council do not hold the official burial records for the Ruthin Road Cemetery.  But they do have a ‘Schedule of Graves’ for the cemetery which was provided to the Council many years ago by a ‘historian’ and is dated January 1947.
The former Ruthin Road Cemetery, fell into disuse in the early 20th century and then became derelict, it was only acquired from the Diocese by the Council in the 1950’s and re-landscaped into a Memorial Garden and public open space.
It is believed that many of the memorial stones are placed against the boundary walls of the land, but the majority are illegible.  The land now forms part of Victoria Road Infants & Junior School.
Apparently the MI’s can be viewed at Denbighshire Archives, The Old Gaol, 46 Clwyd Street, Ruthin, LL15 1HP. There website is https://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en/resident/libraries-and-archives/denbighshire-archives/denbighshire-archives.aspx
Unfortunately it appears that you can only get to see the MI’s by actually going to Denbighshire Archives.
Thank you everyone for your help.
Regards Jeam