Author Topic: Blud or Bludd  (Read 1440 times)

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blud or Bludd
« on: Tuesday 01 December 15 23:33 GMT (UK) »
William Blud, born 1745 and his son Thomas Blud born 1770, and Thomas' daughter Ann Blud, born 1806 in Shifnal, Shropshire, died 1877.  Ann married Walter Scott, born in Scotland in 1791 and died in Shifnal, Shropshire in 1869, they had four sons and five daughters between 1832 and 1850, and lived in the village of Badger, Shropshire.

Shifnal, Shropshire. 

There is very little information.  The name seems to be sometimes spelt Bludd.  Unusual name, I looked at a distribution map from 1891 and nearly half, 46%, of all Bluds lived in Shropshire, with about 25% in Staffordshire and a few in Worcestershire, Cheshire and Lancashire.  Totally absent everywhere else in the UK.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Blud or Bludd
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 17:03 GMT (UK) »
1841 C   High St.    Shifnal

William Bludd      M   70-74        ?           
Rebecca Bludd      F   65-69   Shropshire
Rebecca Bludd      F   30-34   Shropshire
Jane Bludd              F   20-24   Shropshire
Ann Bludd              F   11           Shropshire
Thomas Bludd      M   10           Shropshire
Samuel Hayward      M   13           Shropshire

Name    Philip Blood
Gender    Male
Christening Date    30 Jul 1815
Christening Place    Shifnal, Shropshire, England
Father's Name    William Blood
Mother's Name    Rebecca

https://familysearch.org

Do you have the baptisms and census returns to get back to the William Blud, born 1745.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 January 16 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I think yours is a different family, from looking at the dates. 

The Thomas Blud, born 1770, I was looking at had these children, son Samuel born 1794, George born 1797, Philip born 1801, Ezekiel born 1803, daughter Ann born 1806 and Harriet born 1808.

It sounds like not just a common surname in Shifnal, Shropshire, but the first names get used a lot too?

By the 1841 census, William Blud born 1745 would be 96, and his son Thomas Blud born 1770 would be 71.

What I found odd was that there is a marriage between William Blud and Rebecca Turner, born 1747, on 5th June 1800, in Shifnal, Shropshire.  They would have been 55 and 53, and already had their children.

Ann Blud, born 1806, would have been 35 by the 1841 census, and married Walter Scott on 26th December 1832, age 26, in Wolverhampton.

I will look up the baptisms and census returns when I get chance.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 January 16 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Name    Ann Bludd
Gender    Female
Christening Date    09 Feb 1806
Christening Place    SHIFNAL,SHROPSHIRE,ENGLAND
Birth Date    29 Jan 1806
Father's Name    Thomas Bludd
Mother's Name    Sarah

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01grl/     Other baptisms of Thomas & Sarah

Thomas Blood
England Marriages, 1538–1973
marriage:   4 January 1790   Birmingham, Warwick, England   
spouse:   Sarah Thompson

Guess work really.
Where was Thomas Bludd born on the 1851 census?
If he died before you also need the burial. If you have a gravestone even better. The MI could hold valuable information. More accurate for finding the year when born. Don't rely on the census.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 January 16 21:29 GMT (UK) »
If I ever visit Shifnal, Shropshire, I will take photographs of lots of the gravestones.  I think it might be easy to find the name of the local church where the Bludd family had christenings and weddings, so possibly also where they were buried.

This is the only record I can find for Shifnal, Shropshire on the Find a Grave website http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=2322205

This site tells us where all the church graveyards in Shifnal are http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GScid=2322205&CRid=2322205&pt=Sheffnal%20Church%20Cemetery&  I would assume that ordinary English people in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries are more likely to have been members of the church of England, St. Andrew's church, than Methodist, Catholic or Baptist, so St. Andrew's church of England church sounds like a good place to look.  If I am lucky I will find some Bludds.

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 January 16 23:43 GMT (UK) »
On this page http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records/shropshire-burials?firstname=william&firstname_variants=true&lastname=blud&lastname_variants=true&yearofbirth=1745&yearofbirth_offset=1

It says that William Bludd, born 1745, died in 1807, burial place Shifnal, denomination Anglican.

I couldn't find anything about the death or burial of his son Thomas Bludd, who was born in 1770.