Author Topic: Dougald & Harriet M MacGillivray  (Read 4090 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dougald & Harriet M MacGillivray
« Reply #36 on: Monday 24 August 20 06:43 BST (UK) »
As Christine53 mentioned in reply #27, there is a lot in the old newspapers.  Whenever libraries reopen, I highly recommend that you take a look.

On one of the many articles of his funeral (at which only one person attended...some papers said it was his brother, other papers said it was his son), there was a person reminiscing about Afred's wife Kate:

Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette 16 August 1941

"Mrs. Bethell did not reside with her husband at 'Beechwood", but lived in Widcombe Hill and later in apartments in Prior Park.  Nevertheless, whenever her husband wrote to acquaint her of his periodical visits to 'Beechwood,' she would go there herself to make things comforable, always attending to his requirements herself, even to cooking his meals."

His son, according to a snip in a 1923 paper, lived at the 'Beechwood'.

Many papers noted that he did not talk to neighbours, and would stay inside for weeks at a time, save for an evening walk.

It really lends itself to him having two families.  Perhaps Harriet didn't find out until after the 1939 that he had another family, and really did believe she was married, and left before he died, or his brother, not wanting family scandal, may have quietly set her up somewhere upon Alfred's death.

If there was a "marriage" between Harriet and Alfred, it wouldn't have been legal, so there would be no record.  I doubt you will ever know if she was duped by some sham ceremony, but it does seem odd that she stuck with the Bethell name if she knew she really wasn't one.

The scary part is this Alfred owned multiple properties.... he could have had a third family out there!

Anyways, file it all on the back burner, and when you can access the newspapers, use multiple search word variations to find every tidbit, such as Mrs. Bethell, Mrs K Bethell, Mrs Kate Bethell etc etc.

Good Luck!

Online lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 24 August 20 16:44 BST (UK) »
That was so interesting, bbart.  For the moment, I think I'd like to put part of that in as a 'story' on my Ancestry site, if that's okay with you (with suitable attribution of course).  I will get round to renewing my subs to Newspaper archives soon - currently, so much to do, so little time. (Himself recovering from cancer surgery, so all the lawns to mow, heavy lifting to manage, etc. etc.  Still, that matters not, he's doing so well that I can spend a few mins to look at this thorny problem!)

I think Harriet possibly may have stuck with the Bethell name through 'saving face'.  After all, she was in Kent and the 'main action' was in Bath...it would also have been better for Freda, not being viewed as 'illegitimate'.

It seems to me that he was becoming a bit of a recluse, possibly because he realised he was in over his head now that the two children were grown up and may start causing problems.  I have a similar problem with someone in my distant past; she married a man and had 5 children with him, he left and 'married' another woman who had 4 more children.  It seems he didn't want to face the music as he got older and simply disappeared off the radar.  Maybe I'll apply the same principles to both families and scour the papers of the day.

Anyway, I'll let you know if I find more!

Cheers
lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 02 November 20 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm now wondering if Harriet married Alfred Bethell after his wife, Kate Elizabeth died?  Or even, did they marry at all?  And if there was talk of a daughter, that would be Freda Frances but, as she was born in 1914, why did they not know about her?  In any case, it looks as though she was Harriet's step-daughter.

This is the entry on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Surname    First name(s)    Mother    District    Vol    Page
Births Sep 1914   
BETHELL    Freda F    Macgillivray    Steyning    2b   395

MacGillivray is mms i.e. not 'step-daughter' of Harriet

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Annie:  Thanks for that record, which in fact, I discovered over the following 48 hours.  I can't think why I wrote that particular sentence on 21 August, as on the day before I wrote that: 

"...So now I know that sometime between 1911 and 1914, she married an Alfred Bethell and gave birth to Freda Frances Bethell in 1914...".

Then, the day following, I actually did give a fuller account of the family as I had uncovered it.  I WAS, at the time, under some major stress, so things probably went a little haywire in the old brain cells!  The bit about the marriage was conjecture, as I hadn't (and still haven't) found a record of a marriage.  But then, as Alfred was already married, I'm unlikely to do so.

I have - for the time being - abandoned this link to the MacGillivray family but I do, once again, thank you for your input.

Stay safe!

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee