Author Topic: IGI Records - digging further  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Deslaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
IGI Records - digging further
« on: Friday 23 July 04 00:07 BST (UK) »
I have traced part of my ancestry to Manchester at the beginning of the 18th century through the IGI records.  The problem I have is that the names given for my ggg-grandfather's parents are William Lawton and Mary - Mary who?
There are a number of births/christenings around that time, all recorded at Manchester Cathedral, that have William Lawton & Mary as the parents but, given the dates, they cannot all be offspring of the same William & Mary.

How can I find Mary's surname?  I already have a possible William and Mary marriage on IGI for that time at Manchester Cathedral.
How can I identify which of the other births/christenings are part of my family? ??? ???

Des
Researching - Lawton in Cheshire, Staffordshire & Lancashire; Bissette in Ireland; Bannigan in Scotland & Ireland: Goodwin in Cheshire & Staffordshire.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: IGI Records - digging further
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 July 04 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

The IGI has very scant information either because there isn't anymore info in the original entry or because they limit their indexing.

For a birth you will generally always get the father's name and depending on th ecleric you may get a first name of the mother or some give the maiden name as well.  What you see on the IGI will be all the name info you'll get in the original entry.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't check the original records.  The LDS did not transcribe/index the full entry and many OPRs mention residence.  This can be a hugely useful way of determining which John Smith you are following!

So, have you checked the marriages? 
Or census (you don't give the time frame so this may not be applicable)?

If it is still a pickle then I would check the original OPR entries for residence or occupation or accessory info that would start to ring-fence each family.

Pam
 ;D

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Deslaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 July 04 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

Thanks for the swift reply.  I have only recently started using RootsChat and I am amazed at the amount of help I have received (I only hope that I can reciprocate that).
The time period that I am researching is between 1891 and 1805 so I can't use census returns.  What I will need to do is search through the OPR's (I take it that is the Parish Registers) for Manchester Cathedral.  I have yet to use the LDS Family History Centre (can't even get an answer on their phone and have been trying for months) but I will see if I can find the info there.

The search goes on ;)

Des
Researching - Lawton in Cheshire, Staffordshire & Lancashire; Bissette in Ireland; Bannigan in Scotland & Ireland: Goodwin in Cheshire & Staffordshire.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 July 04 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

Good luck trying to get the LDS - I haven't used my one yet it's open hours are limited.

Was that 1801-1805?  If you have exact dates from the IGI it makes look ups quite quick so a kindly soul going to Manchester records office/library may oblige.

Genuki have all the repositories for the records...
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Manchester/Cathedral.shtml

If there aren't any Mancunians here on Rootschat yet able to do lookups then it maybe worth contacting the library or records office and asking how much the service would be to lookup records if you have exact dates - it maybe cheap, y'never know. ;D

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D

PS - I just found info of the prices for copies of records from Manchester on another forum posting...
http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7269
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 July 04 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Des,

I had similar problems with 3 generations of men all called the same name and two of them using Manchester Cathedral for the Births and Marriages.

what I did was put them in a long list by date and then I used the various census returns, marriages and deaths entries to match them to the right set of parents.

I managed to use this method to get back to a Marriage of the original namesake in 1926, at this point they do not record the father's. You say that you are researching between 1891-1805 so hopefully this may help with part of your research.

RootsChat
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 July 04 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I have found some batch numbers for you to help in your research.

Try putting in the parents names with the addition of the batch numbers, this will at least just list the children born to these parents at Manchester Cathedral in that particular year.

Marriages
M005464 1803 - 1806
M005464 1807 - 1812
M005465 1813 - 1816
M005465 1817 - 1820
M097891 1842 - 1843
M097891 1843 - 1844
M097891 1845 - 1846

Births and Christenings
C097895 1829 - 1832
C097896 1833 - 1835
C097897 1836 - 1838
C097899 1841 - 1843
C073542 1847 - 1850
C073544 1854 - 1857

I started a list for you of the possible William Lawson who married Mary's

Gender: Male Marriage: 06 OCT 1783 Of, Manchester, Lancashire, England
Mary Stott

Gender: Male Marriage: 29 NOV 1791 Manchester, Lancashire, England
Mary Atherton A459012

Gender: Male Marriage: 05 FEB 1809 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England
Mary Bickerton

Gender: Male Marriage: 06 DEC 1818 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England
Mary Tetlow

Gender: Male Marriage: 01 JAN 1846 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England
Mary Cowburn M097891

Gender: Male Marriage: 16 AUG 1858 Manchester, Lancashire, England
Mary Ann Gregory father John Lawton 7423802

Gender: Male Marriage: 01 JUL 1865 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England
Mary Ann Charlotte Hackett M097895

Hope this gives you a start !

RootsChat
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Deslaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 July 04 17:57 BST (UK) »
What can I say?

You are brilliant!

Des  ;D