Author Topic: STONHILL at the King's Head in Stewkley  (Read 14977 times)

Offline daveyowen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STONHILL at the King's Head in Stewkley
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 November 07 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My family and I moved into Stewkley in June 2000, and a few months later the people of Stonehill House moved (if I remember correctly) overseas. It was a garage then, though the people that bought it (Autumn/Winter 2000), used it for residence only. It has changed owners three or four times since then.

Kind regards,

David

Offline mac13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 March 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello to anyone who may be reading this correspondence, years after it came to an end!

I came across it recently after contacting Trich on Ancestry, regarding Emily Ann Stonhill, who was Thomas Stonhill's daughter and from whom I am descended. It has been fascinating to read all the posts and I have learned a lot. Now, I would be interested to visit the cemetery at Stewkeley and also Stonhill House and Kings Head House, if possible. I have briefly been through the village once before but did not know where to look and was short of time.

I have read that tazzie has much local knowledge and has found Stonhill House and can, no doubt, tell me more. Please acknowledge this tazzie if you read it!

Keith

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 March 10 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keith,

Glad to hear of another descendant of Thomas STONHILL!  It's some time since I looked at this branch - He's my cousin's ancestor.  Since I wrote last I have realised that Thomas was married twice - the first time to an Esther who died in 1846 by whom he had 5 children and then as a widower he married Mary HEDGES 19 May 1847 in St Mary Haggerston, Middlesex.  By Mary he had a further 5 children.  This marriage also confirmed that his father was  a Nathaniel STONHILL.
Do you have Esther's maiden name or when & where they married?

Pat
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline mac13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pat,

Thanks for your reply; I didn't expect any contact quite so soon, if at all!

Strangely, when I was in contact with Trich, she asked me the same question-i.e. who was Esther Hedges mother? I'm afraid I don't know either, but according to Trich, Esther Hedges married Thomas Stonhill in 1835 (although it's not apparent from her notes on what information this is based).

This branch of the family tree has been very difficult and confusing to understand, and I have left it for the time being hoping that more records will appear on Ancestry which will help. In the meantime, I was hoping to visit Stewkeley and possibly learn a little bit more.

Trich mentioned to me that "There is another lady (or 2) in NZ researching HEDGES as well.  I will see if I can make contact again ....." so I may try to contact her for any news!

Regards,
Keith

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 March 10 17:20 GMT (UK) »

Hi all ....

Sorry been offline for a few days as computer has been raided by trojans.
 Now all well I can respond. My husbands family lived in Stewkley so know the village well and live very close by now.
 They also have links to the Bull and the Kings head which are opposite each other near the church in the middle of the village. The Bull became the library and was sold recently the Kings Head is now a private house.
 Stewkley in Camera was published a few years ago now but you may be able to find a copy on the internet for sale. Has great photo's of the village and the people.
  Let me know how I can help. Big family of Hedges in the village to look into.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mac13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 March 10 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tazzie,

I now have a fairly good idea where to look next time I visit Stewkley, although this won't be for a while yet.

It's a pity that the old photos of Stewkley can no longer be viewed on the web address you gave on 12 August 2005, but I shall try to find some others. I would have liked to have seen a picture of The Kings Head (as it was originally), if one exists.

Regards
Keith

Offline Rahr Mayer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 September 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Ester Hannah Stonhill who married William Bowden any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 September 14 21:43 BST (UK) »
I have an  Esther Hannah STONHILL as the daughter of Thomas & Mary STONHILL - born about 1848 in Stewkley would this be who you are looking for?
Pat
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline Rahr Mayer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 15 September 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
Yes this would fit in with what I know, my grandmother Eleanor Maude Stonhill Bowden was born in August 1890 and died at the age of 26, according to my records Ester Hannah and William Bowden had 7 or 8 children.   I know that my grandmother Eleanor spent time in Stewkley as we have a photograph of her taken outside of what looks like a farm.  I now live in the USA and during a visit to London this summer we did drive to Stewkley to see if we could find the farm or anyone who knew the Bowden family without success and we visited the church.  On a Real Estate board in the village I found a telephone number for Ian Bowden and called and spoke to him but he told me his family was not from that area.   Any information on the Stonhill or Bowden family would be much appreciated.
Patricia