Author Topic: Thomas Emrys JONES d.o.b. 27/11/1868 Flintshire or Hanley Staffs?  (Read 3226 times)

Offline fairlane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Emrys JONES d.o.b. 27/11/1868 Flintshire or Hanley Staffs?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 December 15 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Staffordshire BMD have a birth for John Jones mmn Williams in 1867 at Hanley HAN/034/014 and for a Thomas Jones mmn Williams in 1869 in Hanley HAN/034/083. As you have Thomas Emrys's dob it may be worth asking if this Thomas has the same dob - worth a try.
Edwards - Cheshire/Denbighshire
Dale, Lloyd, Potts, Vaughan - Cheshire
Humpherson - Shropshire
Ludlam - Yorkshire/Lancashire
Beasley - Buckinghamshire
Dick, Laird, Lambie, McInnes, McKechnie, Robertson, Semple - Lanark/Renfrew
Jordan - Drogheda
Maddison, Thirlwell, Nevin- Co. Durham/Northumberland
Walker - Yorkshire/Notts;
Jackson - Westmorland

Offline Maggieham1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hello, Joseph Holland Jones was my maternal grand father and lived at  54seventh Street until he died. He was baptised in the marnle church at Bodelwyddan near rhyl, denbighshire. Don't know much about his mum or dad, but he did speak Welsh.

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 August 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
That's the one. He was my great uncle on my paternal side. Would be great to compare notes. Are you still up in the Land of the Prince Bishops?

Cheers - Bryn
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
KNAPP (Mariners) - ex of Kent moving to Seaham.
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

JONES - Seaham Harbour Great Grandfather Thomas Emrys JONES b1868

Offline Maggieham1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 August 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
No, strangely I moved to Rhyl when I was 16with absolutely no knowledge od my grand father's past and we actually lived in Bodelwyddan for a time. Very strange when we found out, almost pure destined. I noticed there is a Margaret hannah in your post and that was my grand mother's name, too. Yes, would be good to compare notes. I think my sister has most of the paperwork from that side of the family. Good to hear from you! Kind regards, Margaret

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 August 18 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi cousin Margaret -  my dad and uncle have for tears been trying to work out where Thomas Emrys family came from. One problem being the census showed his birth as Hanley so they had concentrated their efforts there. My email address is brynjon at gmail dot com

Would be great to share information we have with you. Dad is 83 and he will be thrilled to learn about Joseph Holland and the rest of the Family. Best regards Bryn
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 August 18 01:15 BST (UK) »
The following seems worth considering:-
NorthWalesBMD confirms a John Edward Jones born Whitford 1867
(there is no equivalent for a Thomas in 1868/9)
The GRO indices have a John Edward Jones Holywell district 1867 mmn Williams
Staffordshire BMD have a Thomas Jones registered Hanley 1869  mmn Williams
(there may be a typo in fairlane's ref,I think it should be HAN/037/083)
There is a possible marriage of Thomas Jones to Ellen Williams,Northop,1865
(perhaps Elizabeth was an error?)

Regards
Roger

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 August 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger - thanks for your response. We are now very certain Thomas Emrys was born in Llanasa 27/11/1868.
He and his brothers (miners) moved to Cumbria in the late 1800s and then again to Seaham, Co. Durham in the early 1900s.

We checked with Staffs record office and the Thomas born there is not our Thomas. Further enquiries found us at Holywell parish and Whitford, where we obtained a birth certificate - his parents being Thomas Jones b12/5/1839 in Whitford and Elizabeth Holland b23/5/1839 Whitford which tie in very nicely with the Joseph Holland Jones (Thomas Emrys' brother).

Many thanks and best regards - Bryn

Best regards - Bryn