Author Topic: John Laird (Young Immigrant) 1913 born 1897  (Read 3257 times)

Online keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Laird (Young Immigrant) 1913 born 1897
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 06 December 15 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking out, remember I never said he was working as a Purser on any ship, so the Mongolian date it is!
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 07 December 15 00:47 GMT (UK) »
No 16 year old could ever work as a purser on a passenger liner.

Merely speculating/questioning (as you would) the reasoning for him being alone with no apparent abode as his destination address.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 07 December 15 00:58 GMT (UK) »
The info shown on passenger lists depended on the year. It seems a lot more was asked for after WW1.

I don't know if you have seen the original passenger record for the Mongolian from LIbrary and Archives Canada but I thought I would post a link.......this has the first page of the manifest which appears to be missing from the other website.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/passenger-lists/passenger-lists-1865-1922/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=12654&

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 07 December 15 14:26 GMT (UK) »
On the passenger list, if you look at the end of the line referring to John Laird, you will see a handwritten note reading "Sask govt".  This note makes it absolutely certain that John was travelling with assisted passage such as offered in the attached advertisement from the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette dated 17 January 1913.  Cheap fare, good wages and travel to a distant shore would tempt any 16 year old.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 07 December 15 15:05 GMT (UK) »
A book which portrays the experiences of such a young emigrant can be viewed (free!) here.

http://www.ourroots.ca/toc.aspx?id=11352&qryID=515613ef-3447-4a46-9bd4-4526a99abb46

Offline Battie99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Battman Family Research Interest
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

As a Christmas project for John's great neice I have done a book of John's life, its been a thoroughly enjoyable experience and I hope the recipient, a fan of both family history and military will enjoy it.

However, due to the pressures of Xmas postal service, I completed it too late for the inclusion of the advertisement posted above by Manawakian (thank you very much and the book link, which many family members will be interested in reading over christmas).

Thank you so much for all your interest and hard work in the research and seeking of answers.

I am pretty convinced that SS Mongolian took John to Regina, Condie, his location at enlistment is very close to Regina.

Also having exhausted every other avenue, it seems likely he travelled opportunistically, in response to an advert like posted above.

His war diaries are on the internet and the Canadian archives are quite comprehensive, so I believe his story is pretty accurate and pretty complete.

I owe thanks to many rootschatters. thank you very much indeed.

Best wishes for a lovely Christmas.

Helen
Regards

Helen