Author Topic: Corbally  (Read 1777 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corbally
« on: Saturday 05 December 15 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Find My Past have put up some new records that may finally solve an old riddle. Dad's great uncle Benjamin Hepburn 1861-1903 left Scotland in about 1897 under a bit of a cloud. In 1911 he was living in Waterford where he died in 1903. He was buried in Kilmacow, Waterford and his family returned to Scotland. In the probate records ( it seems that his will doesn't exist any more) he was a timekeeper on the railway but he and his father had always been land stewards. The new records put his children in the school at Corbally and describe Benjamin's job as 'Steward', finally this fits and is very exciting. Please can anyone tell me if they know which estate he may have worked on in Corbally or where to find these records. I am close to breaking down an enormous brick wall! It does mention Rockforest but I am not sure what that is.
Thank you
Alison

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Corbally
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 December 15 10:20 GMT (UK) »

Offline luimneach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 December 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Why is this message on Limerick board if the Corbally in question is in Waterford?

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 December 15 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Thank you all so much, I am so excited and now have some information that I can follow up, I really appreciate all your help.
Benjamin died in Waterford and I hadn't been able to find out what happened between Scotland and Waterford but now these records have turned up I know that he was in Corbally, Limerick before he went to Waterford which is why I asked the question on this board. Is there a Corbally in Waterford as well?
Alison

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 December 15 14:20 GMT (UK) »
There is at least 16 townlands with Corbally in the name.
3 Civil Parishes

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 December 15 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I have a lot to learn, thank you. This is pretty much the first time any of my family have been found in Ireland and it is a steep learning curve but i am enjoying it.
Thanks for taking the time to help
Alison

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 December 15 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Can you give us more info on the school.
I'm assuming it was COI
Did both the boys and girls attend?
Was there any other name other than Corbally?
What dates were they there?

I just wonder if his occupation refers to his job in Scotland before he found employments in Ireland.
If he did work in Rockforest it can't have been for very long.

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 December 15 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi. This is the information about the school from Find My Past

Ben
Last name   Hepburn
Denomination   Church of Ireland
Age   14
Birth year   1885
Year   1899
School   Corbally
Roll number   13499
Parish   Corbally
Parent/guardian occupation   Steward
Residence   Rockforest
County   Tipperary
Archive   National Archives of Ireland
Category   Education & work
Subcategory   Schools & education
Collections from   Ireland

It was a mixed school because both Benjamin's two sons and two daughter's went there.It's interesting that they are Church of Ireland, he must have changed them because they were Church of Scotland a few years earlier. Benjamin lost his job as factor at the estate of Sir Thomas Buchan Hepburn in East Lothian due to financial mismanagement and I hadn't thought that he might just be giving his previous job instead of one he actually had. I am trying to work out what took him to Ireland when I can't see any connections or family there. If he got the job as steward then he must have hidden his previous problems. His first wife died in 1894 and he remarried in 1897 in Scotland. I assume he left Scotland after his marriage and in 1901 he was still getting legal trouble about money and one Scottish newspaper article about his insolvency it said that he had been in Roscrea.
I love having these Irish place names in my tree even if Benjamin wasn't there long.

Alison