Author Topic: LAFFOLEY FAMILY  (Read 3980 times)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LAFFOLEY FAMILY
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 December 15 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Helene evacuated from Jersey in 1941 just before the German Occupation but applied to return although many who applied remained in England at the end of WW2. She went to Ainsworth, Nr Bolton in Lancashire and had 3 children with her, Barbara Helen aged 11, Thomas Graeme aged 10 and Lorraine Sandra aged 1 month. She was born in November 1912.
Thomas was with her at the same address, his occupation in Jersey was Pastry Cook and in the UK he was a Turner, he was born in April 1912.

Helene seems to have been the youngest of at least 12 children, parents as given in an earlier post. I should be able to find out more about them next week, the Archive is closed for stocktaking until then.

The information about Helene and Thomas comes from the Archive website as does the following,

Grant of Probate of Georgette Christine Laffoley, widow of Rowland Frederick Picot and wife of Kenneth Archibald Duvey, of Whitby House, St Aubin's Road, St Helier. Dated 26/11/1976. [Includes three closed documents]
Reference: D/Y/B1/249/43
Date: November 26th 1976

Georgette was one of the many children of George and Celestine so maybe she was Aunty Rae

Offline Lori Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LAFFOLEY FAMILY
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  I've had some health problems so sorry for the late acknowledgement.  Helene was my mother and I am Lorraine Sandra Noel born in Lancashire in 1944.  My mum was born in 1913, as shown on my birth certificate.  When the family evacuated, I was not yet born.  Mum had about 16 siblings and one was Georgette, who we always called "Aunty Nina".  Nina married Kenneth Picot and after he died she married Ken Duvey.  The lady we called "Aunty Rae" as actually my a first cousin but much older than me, born in 1923.  She also married Ken Duvey and I know there was some scandal about Aunty Nina pinching him from Rae or vice versa.  Rae's real name was Lorraine Laffoley and I suspect she might have been the illegitimate child of my Aunty Alice, who was 17 and in London when Lorraine Laffoley was born.  Aunty Alice later married Fred Stagg in London, but that was about 6 or 7 years after the birth of Lorraine Laffoley.  I also had an Aunty Lillian in London, another of my Mum's older sisters, and she married Reg Bayliss of London.  It's possible that they might have adopted or brought up Alice's child, but all this is speculation.  Lorraine Laffoley might also have been Lillian's natural child, but she is not listed on any census showing Lillian and Reg.  If you could find out any more, I'd be pleased to hear from you again.

Thanks,
Lori