Author Topic: FAMILY TREE MAKER to be discontinued!  (Read 28462 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
FAMILY TREE MAKER to be discontinued!
« on: Tuesday 08 December 15 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I've just had this email from Ancestry

we’ve made the tough decision to stop selling Family Tree Maker as of December 31, 2015.

We will continue to support existing Family Tree Maker owners at least through January 1, 2017. During this time, all features of the software, including TreeSync™ will continue to work. Our Member Services team will also remain available to assist with questions or issues you may have.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FAMILY TREE MAKER to be discontinued!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Wow, did they give any reason?

Having no idea of Ancestry's finances, my theory is that FTM is too small a part of their operation to make a significant contribution

I've had small worries about the state of the company behind my own software package, but, hopefully, by staying small and focussed, it will remain worthwhile to continue
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've just picked up this message as well.  Seems they are going to concentrate their efforts elsewhere.  But will support FTM until 2017.

CD

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I have my tree on FTM and Ancestry,  however what will happen if you have FTM on your computer and then change computers? Before, I just synced to Ancestry, loaded FTM on the new computer and then downloaded from Ancestry. Presumably we wont be able to do that?

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the idea is they just want you to have your tree on Ancestry?  :-\

I use FTM and Legacy but of late my preference has been to use Legacy.  However, I do need to start transferring all the FTM  data.  I guess I now have a real motive to get my trees up to date!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Just had the same email.   1st Jan 2017 isn't that long away really, not good at all.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 23:47 GMT (UK) »
just got the e-mail....  not very happy.  I only have my tree on FTM not open on ancestry.  And I sure don;t want it open to anyone.  I have been thinking about Legacy as I did a Legacy genealogy cruise this past summer.  Guess I will be changing over and not sure if I will subcribe to ancestry anymore.

Cheers

Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I think the key phrase is:

we’ve taken a hard look at the declining desktop software market and the impact this has on being able to continue to provide new content, product enhancements and support that our users need.

It is probably true that overall the desktop market is declining, but that ignores the simple and incontrovertible fact that desktop products still provide a level of functionality that cannot be matched by online applications and/or services. Ancestry doesn't hold all the cards in respect of online data sources, and so we, as family history researchers, still need a way to collect, organise, and analyse data from a variety of different places. Furthermore, I would want complete control over the data that I wish to be available in the public domain, and actually I trust my own security over and above that of any online service, including Ancestry.

The cynical observer will simply read into this announcement that Ancestry are trying for encourage us to do more of our research online, and within Ancestry, and keep and maintain our results there. They, in return generate increased revenue and can leverage (horrible American term!) the investment we make by our research efforts. Do not be surprised if we soon see a charge if we wish not only to keep our trees on Ancestry private, but also if our trees start to grow beyond a certain size.

My message to Ancestry is that I'm certainly not going to retire my desktop systems yet, and I will continue to support competitors' desktop products as long as they provide the very significant functionality that Ancestry's online systems cannot. I think they have made a dumb decision.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.