Author Topic: FAMILY TREE MAKER to be discontinued!  (Read 28453 times)

Offline panic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: FAMILY TREE MAKER to be discontinued!
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 10 December 15 09:58 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be a shock by some people on here because of an almost inevitable decision of discontinuing home computer based version. What really is the surprise is that they haven't used it to announce the next step.

Software has life-cycles, if you look at Microsoft, they have announced end-of-life dates for their products, yet people continue to use them well after the support has been withdrawn. People are still using older versions of FTM with no ill effect.

Software makers are moving away from physical media based programs that are released in major versions you buy and install to cloud based programs and subscription based methods of paying for it. Microsoft Office is one good example of this. So my surprise over the announcement is that they have simply announced to discontinue FTM when they have a web based program those with subscriptions and online trees can use. They should have tied in the announcement of the end-of-life date for desktop versions with one saying the next FTM will be browser based and free to subscribers. It would allow people to keep databases both online and local with options to have it synced online) , but require an active subscription. Of course, if FTM is made under license by another company, maybe they are unwilling to allow ancestry to develop it this way.
Shropshire: Bailey, Cadman, Chilton, Garbett, Pritchards
Yorkshire: Chilton, Cogan, Cooper, Farrar, Hammond, Nickless/Nicholls, Silkstone
Ireland: Brannan, Cogan, O'Connor

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 10 December 15 10:22 GMT (UK) »
I bought my copy of FMT as a download from a company called Avanquest but I have idea if this is a subsidiary of Ancestry.

A lot of people who are concerned are what we call Silver Surfers on a fixed income who simply don't have the resources to fork out any more money than they are already doing which I found incredibly sad.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gn6/
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 10 December 15 11:06 GMT (UK) »
These cloud based systems are all very well if everyone had fast and reliable broadband and were in a place where they could connect to the internet continuously. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 10 December 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Wonder how many have it on their Christmas list?

I'd been planning on asking for it (or buying it myself!) having tried several trial packages over the last year. Not sure what to do now  :-\ 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 10 December 15 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I've been reading that blog on and off all day (now over 6000 posts) and what I don't get is why Ancestry are still selling this programme if they aren't going to support it, that is pretty poor customer service if not downright dishonest.

A few people have only just bought FTM over the past few days/weeks and they are not happy chappies, understandably so.  :'(

It only seems available as a download - no physical discs now.
And no mention that there will only be support for another 55 weeks.

http://www.ancestryshop.co.uk/products/software/family-tree-maker-2014-platinum-edition
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 December 15 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Software makers seem the like to maintain the delusion that we are all globally connected to the internet. The simple fact is that we are not, and they do a considerable disservice to the customer base by denying them the ability to work offline. There seems to be a concerted push by most major manufacturers to force everyone to use cloud-based services. I for one will resist. There have been far too many high profile leaks of personal information recently that only go to illustrate big companies inability to provide proper security for highly personal information. I'll be keeping my research on my local and well-secured PC.

There are plenty of other good family history programs about. I've used Family Historian for years after trialling most of the other progams, and along with the companion Ancestral Sources would recommend it. There's plenty of help for importing FTM trees on the FHUG forum. OK, it doesn't sync with Ancestry, but then again, I don't want my entire tree on Ancestry.

Of course, simply because Ancestry is withdrawing support doesn't mean that it won't work in future. Plenty of people have written to say they are using quite old versions, so there's no immediate need to panic, but use the time to check out what else is available on the market.

Just one piece of advice, back-up all your data  and check you can restore from the backup, before testing and migrating to any new package.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline panic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 10 December 15 12:51 GMT (UK) »
I've been reading that blog on and off all day (now over 6000 posts) and what I don't get is why Ancestry are still selling this programme if they aren't going to support it, that is pretty poor customer service if not downright dishonest.

A few people have only just bought FTM over the past few days/weeks and they are not happy chappies, understandably so.  :'(

It only seems available as a download - no physical discs now.
And no mention that there will only be support for another 55 weeks.

http://www.ancestryshop.co.uk/products/software/family-tree-maker-2014-platinum-edition
Would you expect them to? It would effect sales until end of the year, and they have probably satisfied legal announcement requirements. It comes with 6 months membership, so will be supported after then. Though anyone starting out and buying it, unaware of the announcement may well be peeved off.
Shropshire: Bailey, Cadman, Chilton, Garbett, Pritchards
Yorkshire: Chilton, Cogan, Cooper, Farrar, Hammond, Nickless/Nicholls, Silkstone
Ireland: Brannan, Cogan, O'Connor

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 10 December 15 16:25 GMT (UK) »
If the move to subscription based online software becomes universal I imagine a strong 'black market' could develop for the older programmes, so best hang on to them for now  ;)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 11 December 15 00:42 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if i am putting this on the most appropriate section of Roots but hopefully someone will point me in the right direction if I have got it wrong.
I have used the Family Tree Maker (FTM) software for many years to record my family research information and also I have also subscribed to Ancestry which I use to research data. Since Ancestry bought out FTM I have been able to sync my desktop tree to Ancestry as i am sure many people do and have enjoyed the joint provision.
 This week I got an email from Ancestry to say they are retiring FTM from Dec 2015 but will continue supporting it until Jan 2017. This has massive implications for people who use FTM and Ancestry if you wish to keep your family tree  research on your computer. As from Jan 2017 FTM  software wont be supported and if you wish to maintain your tree you will have to use the internet version on Ancestry. As I understand it you will need to go on  the internet to access your tree and I guess  you will have to continue your Ancestry subscription as once you cancel it you will lose access to your tree and all the research you have done. Has anyone else considered this situation and have any thoughts on what alternatives they will consider. I really don't want to lose control of my family tree and all the research I have done.
Walsh, Ramwell, Roscoe, Whitworth, Hindley, Court, Lobb, Heywood, Bolton, Raby, McMail, Bullough, Fairclough