Author Topic: Wanless Family  (Read 2486 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Wanless Family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 December 15 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Sue, the boating accident occurred in October 1890 (many months after his funeral).  And the H Wanless on the boat did not drown - it was another man.

Ros  :)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 December 15 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Sue, the boating accident occurred in October 1890 (many months after his funeral).  And the H Wanless on the boat did not drown - it was another man.

Ros  :)

Ros,
You're quite right!
A careless leap to wrong conclusion on my part.
I think  I will strike through to save confusion.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 December 15 10:15 GMT (UK) »
The Wanless family are well known in Queensland for their Scrap Metal business (since the 1960s that I know of) and then they expanded into Waste Management.

Google the name.
Don't know if any of the family are still in management.
My OH used to know one of the family (Scrap Metal) - I'll ask him when he returns from his current country soujourn.   :P  :P  :)  :)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 December 15 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Once again, many thanks for your help.

Sue, I had not got to following the family in NSW, as I was still trying to sort out their movements after the 1871 census. I will of course be doing so now that I know they migrated, with your information.

Dawn M, thank you for that information. As I said above, I have not yet looked at Australia for them, but will do so now. It would be very  interesting to see if there is any connection between my Wanless, and the QLD ones, as the Wanless are a side shoot from my direct line, but all are interesting.

Just had a quick Google, and it looks like they are quite an enterprising lot.

Again, many thanks for all your help.

AC