Author Topic: Family Historian 6  (Read 2747 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Family Historian 6
« on: Wednesday 09 December 15 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I am sorry if this has been asked before :)
I am in the process of trying out the 30 days free trial to FH 6. Currently I am using FTM 2011.
FTM has an index of individuals on the left side of the page, easy to search , also gives the number of people in the tree. Does FH have this and if so where do I find it. I like to be able to look down the list and select the person I need.
So far, apart from the missing index, I am liking what I see  ;)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Historian 6
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »
ok, think I have found it-- the small stack of £1 coins = individual records :D

The forward slashes around the surnames seem unnecessary though, and I cannot think why they are there.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 18:02 GMT (UK) »
ok, think I have found it-- the small stack of £1 coins = individual records :D

The forward slashes around the surnames seem unnecessary though, and I cannot think why they are there.

They are part of the programming used to separate surnames from forenames
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 December 15 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Ok, thank you for that, I still think they look clumpy and awkward, plus I know what is a surname and what is not, and my tree is only for my eyes, so I don't have to please anyone else!
 I have tried to delete them but they just  come back, is there any way to remove them?

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 December 15 11:32 GMT (UK) »
They are there to tell the programme what is a forename or surname not you. You cannot delete them as the programme needs them when it builds your tree
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 December 15 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Ok thank you.

Offline Jane Taubman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 December 15 16:08 GMT (UK) »
The slashes only show when you are editing the name,  they are suppressed when ever you output information.

As mentioned previously, they are used to ensure complex names can be identified correctly.
For example

Stephen Fox James

Could be
Stephen /Fox James/
or
Stephen Fox /James/

BTW if you have not checked out the user group site http://www.fhug.org.uk it's a good source of help and advice for FH.

Also as you are potentially moving FTM there is a special offer on FH till the end of January
http://www.family-historian.co.uk/ftm
Taubman, Mitchell, Purcell - Lancashire,
Couglan, Byrnre - Ireland
Mullins, Bowditch, Crabb, Record - Dorset

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 December 15 16:47 GMT (UK) »
MMm thank you Jane, still playing with it at the moment. I have looked at the fhug site. There are some things I like- multiple marriages shown, whereas FTM you have to click on the other marriages and cannot have them open at the same time. I downloaded a Gedcom and that seems to have gone well. A few odd things- such as  when I am in "Facts" and click on say Birth Registration I get a box that says "sentence" ?? not sure what that is all about- or how to get rid of it, I don't need it. Also the Status in a marriage I would like "ongoing or deceased " in there. None of my census information came through which is going to be very time consuming sorting that out. But so far, I am getting on fine.

Offline Jane Taubman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 December 15 16:49 GMT (UK) »
The sentence is related to Narrative reports, you don't need to change it but if you need to overide the default sentence you can.
Taubman, Mitchell, Purcell - Lancashire,
Couglan, Byrnre - Ireland
Mullins, Bowditch, Crabb, Record - Dorset