Author Topic: Family Historian 6  (Read 2744 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Family Historian 6
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Ok I am still batting on with FH. Have now purchased 6.0.
 A couple of queries please.
 I downloaded a Gedcom from FTM 14, on there I have 8,029 individuals. How do I check on FH how many people I have, it must be somewhere. ???
The other thing I like about FTM is the Family View window, where you get a small tree above the Family Panel. Also the ability  to hide both of these if needed. I find a lot of blank space on the Family Historian page. I do understand I am using another programme and not everything will be the same, but are the possibilities for doing this on Family Historian please.
I hope you can understand what I mean reading this back it seems a little rambling  :-\
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Ok I am still batting on with FH. Have now purchased 6.0.
 A couple of queries please.
 I downloaded a Gedcom from FTM 14, on there I have 8,029 individuals. How do I check on FH how many people I have, it must be somewhere. ???

Bottom right hand corner of the screen - says Individuals with a total and Families with a total.  It appears on all the different views apart from when viewing a Tree or Report.

The other thing I like about FTM is the Family View window, where you get a small tree above the Family Panel. Also the ability  to hide both of these if needed. I find a lot of blank space on the Family Historian page. I do understand I am using another programme and not everything will be the same, but are the possibilities for doing this on Family Historian please.
I hope you can understand what I mean reading this back it seems a little rambling  :-\

I don't think you can get it at the same time as viewing the Individual Record but there are two options.  One is to open an Ancestral or Descendant tree, at which point you can switch between them and the Individual Records on the left side of the screen (they appear as "buttons" below the Index "button"). 

The other is to use the Ancestors or Descendants tabs which are just above where the parents show on the Individual Record screen. 

On either you can click on a person and then select Focus which opens up the Individual Record for that person.

I think that's the correct terminology, hopefully that makes sense. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Jane Taubman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget in FH you can open any tree you want and then work with that tree editing data in the Property box and using drag and drop to add people to the tree as you work.
Taubman, Mitchell, Purcell - Lancashire,
Couglan, Byrnre - Ireland
Mullins, Bowditch, Crabb, Record - Dorset

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Perfect sense thank you. So stupid not to see the numbers on the bottom line ::) Yes the correct amount of people......
The  Family tree symbols ( ancestor diagram, descendant diagram, all relative diagram) underneath the tool bar are not coloured and I cannot click on them, so they must be turned off somehow- probably me pressing the wrong thing.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jane. I only have one tree so not a problem with that.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget in FH you can open any tree you want and then work with that tree editing data in the Property box and using drag and drop to add people to the tree as you work.

I'd forgotten about that. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:04 GMT (UK) »
AAAA Smudwhisk WHAT chance do I have  :-[
One niggle- or should I say another one.
Why does the Property box not change when you change the person in the Focus window and visa versa?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I think it's 'cos you've got the blue "pin" on the right above the Focus Windows set at horizontal (the one next to the "scroll" for sources).  If you click on it, it'll change.  Its happened to me a few times. ;D

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:09 GMT (UK) »
You are a star, thank you.