Author Topic: Born in Gibraltar as a British Subject would that make his parents British?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Gibraltar as a British Subject would that make his parents British?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 December 15 02:27 GMT (UK) »
When I was stationed in Gibraltar in 1955 to 1957 as a British soldier, Gibraltar was classified as a "Home posting" not an "Overseas posting", it's citizens were and probably still are classified as British subjects.

The name Joseph/Judah POSWILLO/POSCOILLO looks a Gibratarian name to me.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 December 15 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you findem, all I have to do now is try to "findem" on a record hidden away somewhere on  nationalarchives.gibraltar, lots of information there but I am still trying to find my way around them.
Cheers
HeatherR.
Lanarkshire=Robertson-Ross-Russell-Neilson.
Staffordshire= Harrison-Jackson-Round
London=Poswillo-Hyams-Karby-Dossett-Baram-Detloff-Hyman
Gibralter=Poswillo
Dorset= Attwooll-Read-Northover
Australia=Karby-Meyer

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 December 15 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Hope you "findem".

I would imagine the record keeping in Gib would be along the same lines as that of the UK, things seemed very Britishified (even the Police uniforms were identical), so perhaps not too difficult to find the source.  I would imagine most if not all records would be in English, I found that most Gibraltarians spoke amongst themselves in Spanish but could speak good English and I believe they were taught lessons at school in English. 

While I was there there was goodly size C of E congregation (not counting H M armed forces) with a church (Cathedral?) plus of course Catholic church(es), I would image most of the native born Gibraltarians are Catholics. 

When my son and I visited Gib in 2012 we found a darn great Mosque has been built in an area known as Europa Point, no more than a five minute walk from where my barracks were once situated, who would have thought it.  :)

Ironic I suppose, El Cid and his forces kicked the Moors out of Spain and what is now Gibraltar and now they are back in.  :)

Anyway good luck with your Gibraltarians.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline swhopkinson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 February 19 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I just came up with this connection following my wife's family line through Julia Karby's mother Letitia Poswillo to Judah. Another site suggests they are Sephardic Jews so British subjects but I don't think the parents would count.

Shane