Author Topic: Where are (or were) the cottages built by Daniel Livermore?  (Read 3298 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where are (or were) the cottages built by Daniel Livermore?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 December 15 12:29 GMT (UK) »
The Abraham Thickens who is a bargeman is in Thorley parish not Newtown, he is still in Thorley in 1851. The Jane Livermore who is on same page as him isn't related to mine - or if she is it's so distant I haven't found the link yet.

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be any older BS maps on line. There was a lot of expansion in that part of BS in the 1850s. A lot of the short terraces have their names carved into the stone (or concrete) on the front but only the road they're in appears on maps. They don't get named separately.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 December 15 15:45 GMT (UK) »
1841 HO107/434/23/41 has an Abraham Thicking 68 shoe manufacturer in South St, BS.

A lot of the short terraces have their names carved into the stone (or concrete) on the front but only the road they're in appears on maps. They don't get named separately.
So when they are knocked down.....they're gone. Might there be old photographs at a local archive or library?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 December 15 16:08 GMT (UK) »
HiWould someone explain the date?
Is it the date of entering/creation of the will details into the Bishop's Records.
Ray

D/ABW 138/2/24  Will of Daniel Livermore of Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, labourer 

Repository:Essex Record Office
Level: CategoryArchdeaconry records
Level: FondsCOMMISSARY OF BISHOP OF LONDON
Level: Sub-FondsWILLS
Level: FileWills
Level: ItemWill of Daniel Livermore of Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, labourer
Reference Code:D/ABW 138/2/24
Dates of Creation:1 March 1847
Title:Will of Daniel Livermore of Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, labourer
Date From:1847
Date To:1847
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 December 15 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The enumerators walks only exist online for 1 of the 6 books.
The others weren't copied.
Need to go back a step to get them.

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 December 15 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, The Abraham in South Street looks like a possibility. Can't see him in 1851, he might be the death reg in BS district in Q2 1842 as Abraham Thickens (the same spelling as in Daniel's will).
I had assumed that the 4 names in the will meant one in each of the four cottages, but one could have succeeded another. 

The date in March 1847 is probably when it was entered into the register.
The executor Jones Gifford Nash (brewer) was sworn on 25th February 1847, so it took 8 months to get probate.

added, just checked the document again - it was proved on 1st March 1847 before the rev Charles Spenser Clk Surrog PC
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline M R James

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie
I have Daniel's bible listing seven children.  It is very battered and I don't know if it was the one that had been referred to elsewhere. My line is Daniel 1785, Daniel 1816, James 1846, Harry 1883, Cyril 1924. I am very rusty on family history but I should be related to your husband. But I don't know how.  I was very interested in your work on the Livermores around the Chestefords and Saffron Walden. I do the One Name Guild Livermore site. This is the first time that I have tried posting on RootsChat. I am also contactable via the Livermore ONG site.
Best wishes

Roger M Livermore

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 January 20 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roger, my husband would be your 3rd cousin. He is descended from Daniel 1816 via James's younger brother Thomas.
We saw the bible on an auction web site but were too late. We were sent a good scan of the page with names and dates of birth. We were also told it had gone to a family member so that was good.
I have always wondered who wrote it. The writing is so similar for all of them that I don't believe that it was a contemporary record of the births, but all written at the same time much later. Daniel and Elizabeth (nee Law) both signed x on their marriage cert, so not likely to be them. Looking at the children's writing on marriage certs, Emma and Thomas have closest writing. Another possibility is their aunt Mary. She seems to have separated from her husband William Bull and lived with Daniel and Elizabeth for some time. She signed her name on her marriage record, but as it was so much earlier than I suspect the names were written in the bible, difficult to compare the writing.
Daniel (1838) and Ruth's names are crossed out as they died young and I think a date of death is written by Ruth's name but very faint.