Author Topic: Parish records  (Read 1563 times)

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Parish records
« on: Monday 14 December 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the name Higinbotham and its various spellings, the family I am after come from Chapel en le Frith.. I am having trouble finding images of the parish records for Chapel en le Frith on line, there are some on the IGI but not the early ones.
Does anyone know where I could view them or  buy a disc or microfiche with them on? I have tried Ancestry and  FindMyPast.

Thanks
Hannam in London, Nottinghamshire and Sheffield
Collins in Staffordshire
Brackenbury, Gurnell and Willson in Lincolnshire and now Nottinghamshire
Marples in Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Heginbotham in Derbyshire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 15 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Derbyshire Family History Society? www.dfhs.org.uk
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 December 15 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian  :)

There are some actual register images for baptism & burials here for Chapel en le Frith and others, if that is any help?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01go4/

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 15 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Family Search  or IGI have baptisms for a myriad of different versions of Higginbotham..hekkinbotham heginbotham etc..from about 1670............I have the Pr's with the original images of Baptisma and burials from 1780 ....so what do you call "early" ?????..Dizzifish has it right.......1780 -1880..if you can read them!!

Derek

EDIT......there is a tree on Ancestry (three in fact,clearly borrowed) which takes the HEGINBOTHAM/ HIGGINBOTHAM family in an unbroken line from 1550......most born in Chapel..but via Disley in Cheshire....(Disley is very close to Chapel)........whether you believe the Trees and the supposed veracity of the "research"..is entirely up to you.

It is a very lucky man or woman indeed who can even read PR's  written in 1550...and even luckier if they exist.........
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Derek
                  You have correctly identified the problem with the name Higinbotham, I have to date 17 different versions of the name. The one I am using seems to pull up the most results.

By early I mean I am currently looking at 1728 for a Joseph and a bit later for his children.

As for other peoples trees at best I would use them as a guide until I have checked the data. As for reading old records, if they were  all legible where would the fun be?

Thanks everyone
Collins in Staffordshire

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 23:11 GMT (UK) »
I have JOSEPH HEGINBOTHAM 23.01.1727 son of William and Mary nee Lingard...at Chapel.

he married Ann Bagshaw and had son Peter..who in turn was the father of the aforementioned JOHN HEGINBOTHAM 08.12.1782...this baptism is proven fact..........if you can prove the link between John 1782 and Joseph 1727........then you're on your way back much further.......

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 December 15 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek
             I have Joseph b 1726/7 son of William. unfortunately all Joseph's children with the exception of William b1749 seem to have been born to Josephs second wife Mary ?  Ann Bagshaw died abt July 1749 aged ?and was buried 26 Aug 1749 at Chapel. N.B. Having had a second look at this it may be a load of rubbish!

I have found Peter b 1759 bap 27 Jan 1759 at Chapel en le Frith, married Martha Lomas 12 Feb 1782 at Chapel, they had a son John b 1782 bap 8 dec 1782 at Chapel. If I have Josephs wives all wrong please let me know.

Thanks for the help
Collins in Staffordshire

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 December 15 18:01 GMT (UK) »
There are some earlier marriage transcripts here including name variations http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dusk/marriage-transcript_intro.html

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 December 15 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Shirl
      Thanks for the info unfortunately I already have that info it's Baps and Burials I am after between 1730 and 1760 with images

Thanks anyway
Collins in Staffordshire