Author Topic: Help to trace a potential Dr (Durisdeer early 1800,s)  (Read 1646 times)

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to trace a potential Dr (Durisdeer early 1800,s)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 22:05 GMT (UK) »
there is John Mounsie, Surgeon, listed in Piggot & Co Directory of 1825/6 for the parish of Morton. Durisdeer doesn't get a mention on its own but Morton is close. He is mentioned again in the 1837 issue as John Munsie (and stationer) Drumlanrig Street, Thornhill. In Slater's 1852, he is listed as John Mounsie M.D. grass yards. [Morton and Durisdeer are listed together]

Ian McClumpha

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 22:47 GMT (UK) »
there is John Mounsie, Surgeon, listed in Piggot & Co Directory of 1825/6 for the parish of Morton. Durisdeer doesn't get a mention on its own but Morton is close. He is mentioned again in the 1837 issue as John Munsie (and stationer) Drumlanrig Street, Thornhill. In Slater's 1852, he is listed as John Mounsie M.D. grass yards. [Morton and Durisdeer are listed together]

Ian McClumpha

thanks so much for this info - i've not even heard of the publications you mention - have not googled and found. it's a good help.
i don't have a John in the tree (yet) but the family are all in that area so the chances they're related is very likely - so again i'm wondering if my chap was a non qualified 'helper' to this medical
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.
Many Naval ancestors and connections to Canada & American.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Who did your Dr William Muncie marry? You have a specific range of births that you mention between 1811-34. What were those details?

The info and link from giblet, does that connect in some way? It is always a problem when different years and time scales are mentioned.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 December 15 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Who did your Dr William Muncie marry? You have a specific range of births that you mention between 1811-34. What were those details?

The info and link from giblet, does that connect in some way? It is always a problem when different years and time scales are mentioned.

Monica

a lot of questions, as mentioned, i know having his marriage cert or kids birth cert would help, but i don't have those so can't check
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 December 15 19:53 GMT (UK) »
That is ok, don't worry about that  :)

A different question (there are always questions when people try to help... ;)). What source do you have for Dr William having children in Scotland between 1811-34? Dates are in conflict with the possible gravestone linked by giblet, if you agree with what is on that gravestone...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 December 15 19:59 GMT (UK) »
That is ok, don't worry about that  :)

A different question (there are always questions when people try to help... ;)). What source do you have for Dr William having children in Scotland between 1811-34? Dates are in conflict with the possible gravestone linked by giblet, if you agree with what is on that gravestone...

Monica
the gravestone was created by his sons and as i said previously - even if i've got all my searched and details wrong and this isn't my chap - SOMEONE by this name was practising medicine in durisdee at that time - and i can't find them.
i think imchad's link is the best i'll hope for and am trying to connect him to my line - i suspect my chap will turn out to be a lower non qualified medical helper

Offline Cmgrauer

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 05:10 BST (UK) »
Are you still looking for information? So am I. I think he is a great great (or more greats) grandfather

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 07:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding. I've still not been able to find this chap in durisdeer at the relevant time, practising medicine (or anything similar).

So if you've been able to find him there/then i'd be very interested to share

Thanks again