Author Topic: Lynel family of Staffordshire  (Read 1816 times)

Offline blackcountry man

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lynel family of Staffordshire
« on: Wednesday 16 December 15 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'd hit a brickwall with my family tree please help :
Parents
William & Eleanor
William Dean Bapt' 10 Jun 1753 Ellenhall, Staffordshire

I can't find a marriage entry for William & Eleanor anywhere but I've just obtained the will dated 1766 of Ellin Dean wife of William from Ellenhall, Staffordshire mentioned above and thankfully she mentions in the will her siblings. Sisters mentioned were Ellin (odd given same as her name but maybe an error) & Mary Lynell including Elizabeth Podmore (assume married name) with her brother Thomas Lynell yeoman of Walton Hurst as an exec' of the will. One of the witnesses to her will was Henry Lynill maybe a relative.

I think this is the bapts' entry of Ellin and her siblings:
Thomas & Hannah
Ellin Lynel 1731 Eccleshall, Staffs'
Thomas Lynel 1733 Eccleshall, Staffs'
Mary Lynill 1736 Eccleshall, Staffs'
Elizabeth Lynel 1738 Eccleshall, Staffs'
Henry Lynill 1741 Eccleshall, Staffs' buried same day

Possible marriage
Thomas Lynell & Hannah Yates
21 Dec 1730 eccleshall, staffordshire

The problem is I still can't find a marriage entry for Ellin Lynil and William Dean anywhere on the internet and Staffordshire is well covered.

Anyone have further information on the Lynill family of Hurst Walton of Staffordshire. They are difficult to find on documents given the different ways of spelling of their surname, however I did find mention of an old family the de Linhills:
From the village of lyne Hill or Linhull, apparently belonging to the deanery, but mainly in the hands of a family who are called variously de Linhill, de Lynhull, Lynell or Lynehill. near Penkridge, Staffordshire. I've been able to find very little information on this family and would love to uncover more.

Any help would be fantastic on how I could if possible research further the Lynhill family and any ideas on a marriage entry for Ellin and William. Interestingly I also have been unable to locate a marriage entry for Elizabeth and a Podmore or their brother Thomas. I'm thinking maybe they married outside of Staffordshire.

Merry Xmas and many thanks
Adrian

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lynel family of Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Found Elizabeth's marriage to George Padmore and it is way out from Staffordshire.
St Margaret's Westminster 1764 according to Boyd's marriage index.
Elizabeth Linnell and George Padmore.

Mary Lynell 11.6.1772 Eccleshall to Richard Tagg

Thomas Lynehill of Ecccleshall married Mary Bayley of Stone 6.7.1763 by licence witnesses John Shelly and Thomas Haldern.
Daughters Mary 23.4.1764, Hannah bapt 10.1.1766 Eccleshall,Catherine 3.1.1768 and Thomas 1.1.1770

Still can't see Ellin's marriage though.

Deaths/burials
Thomas Lynell Eccleshall June 1770 and 27.8.1749.

Thomas Lionel bapt 24.7.1688 son of Henry is a bit too..early
There's a Henry Lynell master chandler taking on apprentice William Fox 1741 for £15. and Henry's death 1770 6.4.1770 with an earlier Henry 16.5.1725
There's also another Ellin Lynel marrying Thomas Wilcox 1.5.1709.

You should also look at the Staffordshire name index
Two Wills on there
Thomas Lynell 1750 Eccleshall and Thomas 1682 Walton Hurst,Eccleshall.There are also some Henry's but not in Eccleshall

Ciderdrinker

Offline blackcountry man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 14:19 GMT (UK) »

Wow,

Thank you so much and some very interesting information which I will look into. I'll check out the will index and get back to you.

Kind regards
Adrian

Offline blackcountry man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks ciderdrinker,

I will order those wills you mentioned on the Lynills of Walton Hurst. I'm hoping they will contain lots of family names to chase.

Many thanks for your help.
Adrian

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 January 16 13:06 GMT (UK) »
another possible family member could be Richard Lynehill who became a freeman of Stafford on 20th Dec 1675 "having served an apprenticeship" paid 20 shillings in hand and is to pay 20 shillings more at Michaelmas next, plus the usual fees.
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline blackcountry man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zen,

I found a will of Richard Lynehill of Stafford dated 1684 which maybe the same Richard you mentioned.

He seemed to have been a man of some standing within the community leaving £485 and looking at his inventory seemed to have been a merchant of some sorts.

This family could well be interconnected around the Stafford area. I really need to get hold of those Walton Hurst Lynhill family wills to look for any connections because Walton Hurt is near to Stafford.

Many thanks for the interesting information.
Adrian

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 January 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
If you type Lynell into Stafford's gateway to the past you get some interesting hits
http://www.archives.staffordshire.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Archive2&dsqIni=DserveV.ini&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=Search.tcl
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline blackcountry man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 January 16 07:36 GMT (UK) »

Hi Zen rabbit,

Yes very interesting and would like to investigate those documents further.

Regards
Adrian

Offline blackcountry man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 March 19 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm back with some updated information but sadly none the wiser and something just doesn't match up here (sigh).

Quote:
You should also look at the Staffordshire name index
Two Wills on there:
Thomas Lynell 1750 Eccleshall and Thomas 1682 Walton Hurst, Eccleshall.

I've obtained these wills on the Lynel families of Walton Hurst which has given further information.

All the help you gave seems to match up but this is baffling me.

My Ellen Dean who names in her will dated 1766 her brother Thomas Lynel of Walton Hurst and also her sisters Elisabeth Podmore, Mary and Ellen Lynel. The witness on her will is Henry Lynel who signs his own name.

I found the Henry Lynel's will dated 1767 of Walton Hurst and the signatures match on both wills.

Quote:
Found Elizabeth's marriage to George Padmore and it is way out from Staffordshire.
St Margaret's Westminster 1764 according to Boyd's marriage index.
Elizabeth Linnell and George Padmore.

In Henry's will, he mentions his nephew Thomas and nieces Elisabeth wife of George Podmore (see above quote), Mary Lynel and Ellen Lynel now the wife of John Green. Henry also gives 5 pounds to Thomas and Ellen Turner children of the first wife of Simon Turner (see below quote) together with William Dean of Ellenhall Park (son of Ellen). Ellen Wilcox daughter of Thomas Wilcox & Ellin Lynel married Simon Turner 1738 Stafford, Staffordshire.

quote:
There's also another Ellin Lynel marrying Thomas Wilcox 1.5.1709.

My Ellin Dean who in her will names her brother and sisters as Lynil can't be their siblings but must be related somehow to this Lynel family.

I can't find any marriage of Ellin to William Dean, is it possible they never actually married and could this Ellin be the one who married Simon Turner but never divorced ???

I also can't find a death for Ellin Turner (wife of Simon) or of William Dean husband of Ellin and on Ellin's will dated 1766 she states she's a widow ????

I'm totally baffled and any ideas or help would be fantastic.

Kind regards
Adrian