Author Topic: Marriage of John Dempster in Tillicoultry 1842  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of John Dempster in Tillicoultry 1842
« on: Wednesday 16 December 15 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters, We have a marriage of John Dempster and Cathrine or Catherine Ramage in Tillicoultry on 9th December 1842. Now because it's before 1855, it's on the old parish registers, so it doesn't list who both their parents are. Which is a pity, because if it was after 1855, you would get them no bother on a certificate. Is there any way, we would be able to find out the parents or give me some advice on how to get them please? Yours, Wilton Endeavour.  :'(
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John Dempster in Tillicoultry 1842
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Wilton Endeavour, did they die in Scotland? You know if they did, their parents' details would have been included on their death regs (if known to the informant).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 21:48 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of online family trees (via subscriptions). Catherine's death in 1895 gives her parents as a John Ramage, a mason by trade and mother first name not given but maiden name is Sinclair. Son Alexander reported her death. She was already a widow by now. John Dempster, a spinner in a wool mill.  The particular details I am looking at do not include parents' names for John Dempster (died 12 November 1889 • 105 Lower Bridge Street Stirling?)

Have you followed through with censuses for them? John Dempster born in Alva c. 1811 and Catherine Ramage born Dollar c. 1816?

Son Alexander was born in the magical year of 1855 which will let you confirm further details from that unique first year of Scottish registrations, with a double page on the register, for one year only, with lots of extra info.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Just using stepping stones from the info so far. For Catherine Ramage, we have father as John, a mason by trade and mother as xxx Sinclair.

Her marriage to John Dempster was in Tillicoultry. There is this potential 1841 census entry for her with her family:

John Ramage 55 Mason b. Scotland
Ann Sinclair 50 b. Scotland
Catharine Ramage 20
John Sinclair  Wool H L W

Address: Coalsnaughton Village, Tillicoultry

Ann and John, in terms of Scottish naming pattern if used, fits well with the names of the children for John and Catherine. John Ramage Dempster b. 1845 and Ann Dempster b. 1847.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Again as guesses...this a possible entry for John Dempster with parents here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X123-JHM  Possible marriage for these parents here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY77-X5L

George and Mary also feature in the early names of children for John Dempster and Catherine Ramage.

Monica

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the assistance Monica, it has given myself and my American cousin some more leads to follow. After we hit a brick wall with the old parish records. Much appreciated.
Wilton Endeavour.   :)
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline maybeline

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 January 16 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes if you have a death for either in Scotland you should be able to find the parents listed on their
death certificate.  Also McKirdy Index after 1855 which covers Clackmannan and areas nearby is a great resource.  I have some records transcribed on my webpages and can do a look up in my files for you if you give me details of date of death. regards www.howdiie.com