Author Topic: Hanley & Co Limited (1891)  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hanley & Co Limited (1891)
« on: Thursday 17 December 15 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Charles William COLLINGRIDGE (1860-1921) (my 1C3R), appears in Perry's Gazette of 1891.  He's described initially as a butcher and against his name is BS (Bill of Sale), later he's given as being of The Fox Inn, Barton Hartshorn, and an innkeeper and butcher.  At that point it's an Absolute Sale and the amount is £30.  It was in favour of Hanley & Co Limited.

Does anyone have any idea what business Hanley & Co Limited were in at that time pls?

I'm also not clear on whether it was the inn or the butcher's business that Charles William was selling or being forced to sell. I'd only ever known him to be a butcher.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Hanley & Co Limited (1891)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 December 15 14:59 GMT (UK) »
An assumption on my part, is that Hanley & Co, might be solicitors, who then pass on the proceeds of sale to the new owners.
Have you tried to find the business or address from where your relative lived, and sold it.

Is there a specific date on the bill of sale.  As this would define if he was in Barton Hartshorn at the time the 1891 census was taken

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 December 15 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is this reference which could be of interest to you -

Hanley & Co Ltd, City Brewery, Queen Street, Oxford (est. 1840s), with 100 licensed houses in 1898.

Source - The Brewing industry, Lesley Richmond, Alison Turton

JJ

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 December 15 19:02 GMT (UK) »
An assumption on my part, is that Hanley & Co, might be solicitors, who then pass on the proceeds of sale to the new owners.
Have you tried to find the business or address from where your relative lived, and sold it.

Is there a specific date on the bill of sale.  As this would define if he was in Barton Hartshorn at the time the 1891 census was taken

I wondered if they were solicitors but something was also saying "brewery". Not knowing what business they were in nor where they were based wasn't helpful.

The Bill of Sale was Dec 1891, and yes, he was there then. The last census entry I had for him was 1881 when he was a "Shopman" enumerated in the home of a pork butcher in Clerkenwell, London.. The 1891 was another 10 years off being released at the time :) I didn't go back to him

In 1891 he was living at the Fox, in Barton Hartshorn.  His daughter was born there and his grandparents were married there although neither were born there.

He was back in Tingewick where he was born in 1901 as a General Shop Dealer. He was still there in 1911 and given by his wife as a "Fruit Dealer". Possibly something to do with his Uncle Henry working in Covent Garden Market and the founding of the fruit, flower and veg firm by his cousin, John, Henry's younger son.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 December 15 19:08 GMT (UK) »

There is this reference which could be of interest to you -

Hanley & Co Ltd, City Brewery, Queen Street, Oxford (est. 1840s), with 100 licensed houses in 1898.

Source - The Brewing industry, Lesley Richmond, Alison Turton

Thank you :)  That makes sense.  I must have read something about the brewery somewhere that's why it rang a faint bell with me.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 December 15 19:20 GMT (UK) »
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27015/page/6084/data.pdf

Oops! ;)  I see one of the liquidators was a HANLEY :)

Thank you for that :)

I'm somewhat curious as to the connection with Barton Hartshorn and how Charles William came by the pub, if he acquired it from, or as a result of the death of, a relative.  He would have known about running a pub - his father ran the Holly Bush in Tingewick.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 December 15 21:50 GMT (UK) »
As the Gazette article gives a date for 'winding up', in 1893, I would suggest he was buying his beer from Hanleys, for the Fox pub. 
Not sure if he was renting the Fox, or a tenant of it.  Also a butcher at the same time, to keep the cash flowing in. ;)

When Hanleys was wound up, he moved back to Tingewick and carried on as a General dealer.

Mostly speculative, but it's a possibilty.   I wonder who took over the Fox after him, or who was there before him.?

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 December 15 00:04 GMT (UK) »
As the Gazette article gives a date for 'winding up', in 1893, I would suggest he was buying his beer from Hanleys, for the Fox pub. 
Not sure if he was renting the Fox, or a tenant of it.  Also a butcher at the same time, to keep the cash flowing in. ;)

When Hanleys was wound up, he moved back to Tingewick and carried on as a General dealer.

Mostly speculative, but it's a possibilty.   I wonder who took over the Fox after him, or who was there before him.?

From what I've seen it wasn't particularly unusual for a publican or innkeeper to have another occupation.  One I found was also a coffin maker :)

I think Charles William sold his interest in the Fox to Hanleys.  I don't think he'd have been in Perry's if it was because he was buying his beer from them. Bucks Record Office should have the license records which would show when he took over the Fox, who had it previously and who was there after or whether it was shut completely.

I'll see if I can find it in the censues of 1881 and 1901 but that'll have to wait until tomorrow, bit too late tonight :)

OK, don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today because tomorrow never comes :D

In 1881 the Fox was held by Thomas COX who lived there with his wife, Catherine, and was a boot and shoe maker and publican.

In 1901 the Fox was held by George SWIFT who lived there with his wife, Mary Jane and five children.  He was only a publican.  He isn't listed with another occupation.

The Fox seems to have gone by 1911.

That was quicker than I expected :)