Author Topic: Cary family of Lincolnshire  (Read 1219 times)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cary family of Lincolnshire
« on: Thursday 17 December 15 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my family tree for many years and have never broken through a 'brick wall' for part of my Lincolnshire roots.

I am trying to find details of an ELIZABETH CARY who married William Hunter on 13 November 1821 at All Saint's Church, Fleet, Lincolnshire. The name Cary (sometimes spelt Carey) became a second christian name to many of my Hunter ancestors.

Fingers crossed that someone can assist on this matter.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Cary family of Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 December 15 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Have you found her on later censuses where she gives her place of birth ie was she born in Fleet or just married there?

There is an Elizabeth Cary baptised in Alford on 4th March 1798 parents Richard and Elizabeth, but that is about 40 miles from Fleet.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NGZL-8N5
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 December 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've looked at this one but have discounted it as 40+ miles was a huge distance in those days.

The marriage entry shows that Elizabeth was 'of this Parish' [i.e. Fleet] - her husband William Hunter died in 1833 - possible that Elizabeth remarried as Census returns do not show an Elizabeth Hunter close to her age [she was born circa 1800]

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 December 15 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't discount what Groom has found.
40 mls. wasn't such a great distance.People moved around a lot more than you might think.
To be "of this Parish" meant that the person was in the Parish at the time the Banns were read which isn't the same as coming from there.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 December 15 17:11 GMT (UK) »
[she was born circa 1800]

Where have you found her year of birth from?

If she married 1821 and hubby died 1833, then maybe there are still dependant children around in 1841 that would lead you to her.  What children did William and Elizabeth have?

Also - were they still in Fleet in 1833 when Wm died?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 December 15 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't discount what Groom has found.
40 mls. wasn't such a great distance.People moved around a lot more than you might think.
To be "of this Parish" meant that the person was in the Parish at the time the Banns were read which isn't the same as coming from there.

I agree Jim. My great grandparents moved regularly between Suffolk and London. Elizabeth may have been working in Fleet or her parents may have moved there after she was born. How do you know that she was born about 1800?

William Hunter was buried at St Mary Magdalen 25th July aged 41 ie born 1792. There is also an Elizabeth Hunter buried there on the 26th Feb 1847 aged 56 ie born 1791, could be his wife if they were about the same age when they married.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 December 15 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Just bookmarking til we know what Children William/Elizabeth had and where :)

I agree what Groom found is possible for Elizabeth Cary.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 December 15 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

1. The 1847 burial record for Elizabeth Hunter shows that her abode was Holbeach Hurn. Elizabeth was the wife of Thomas Hunter, a farmer of Holbeach Hurn. [see 1841 Census HO107/608 Book 4, Folio 5, Page 2].

2. Written information from my maternal grandmother (Mahala Hunter, born Whaplode 1894) shows that her great grandfather, William Hunter, married Elizabeth Cary on 13/11/1821. The info only records that they had a son, Benjamin, born circa 1823. His place of birth is recorded as Fleet. [The 1841 Census shows Benjamin working as a Farm Labourer in Pinchbeck]

3. Benjamin married twice, first to Sally Proctor and they had a daughter, Betsy Cary Hunter, born Whaplode 1843. Sally died shortly after giving birth and was buried at St Mary's, Whaplode on the 3/7/1843.

4. Benjamin's second marriage was to Sarah Ann Cope. My grandmother's documentation shows that they had 4 children, the first was Samuel Carey Hunter, born Whaplode 1845.

5. Samuel Carey Hunter married Mary Eliza(beth) Downs, Whaplode St Mary's, 1874. They had 12 children including my grandmother, Mahala Hunter. They named their first son, Thomas Carey Hunter, born Whaplode 1879.

6. My grandmother married James Wood, Whaplode St Mary's. 1917. Their first son was named William Carey Wood, born Ashington, Northumberland, 1922.

As you can see, the surname Cary has been given as a second christian name to descendants of Elizabeth Cary and William Hunter.

As I can't find Elizabeth in any of the Census returns, the only conclusion that I can come up with is that Elizabeth re-married after the death of her husband William Hunter in 1833.

Wish that I knew of any other children that William Hunter and Elizabeth Cary may have had.

Any thoughts??

Many thanks.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 December 15 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Check Parish Registers for Fleet and neighbouring parishes to see if any baptisms other than Benjamin?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk