Author Topic: What Happened to Hilda Wilkinson?  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Happened to Hilda Wilkinson?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 December 15 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray

This looks like her death.

Hilda Patricia Smith Died Sep 1986  Age at Death 85  District: Stockport
Birth Date:    19 Nov 1900 = Q4 1900

Venelow
Canada

Stockport !!

She travels all the way to Canada, marries someone else's husband, comes back to England, is widowed, remarries and ends up in the same town as her first husband's "real " wife. Coincidence or what!

Definitely the right person as the DoB matches but I'll check anyway.

Thanks venelow

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 December 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray

Just for the hell of it I googled Hilda Patrica Wilkinson and got four hits the last one being photos from Ancestry trees of which one was a reference to a photo of Harry Roberts and Hilda Patricia Wilkinson and citing their marriage 26 July 1928 in Montreal. Sounds like a wedding photo.

This is a Private tree on Ancestry Au and states that Hilda was born in 1895. By searching in Ancestry I brought up the reference for Hilda which also states she was born in Canada. There is a link to contact the tree owner.

Maybe you are already aware of this tree but if not you may want to contact the tree owner as they may have a connection to you and a photo would be nice.
As far as I can see her birth date and place of birth in the private tree may just be conjecture on their part. Hilda's parents are stated on the marriage record and you have traced her forward to her arrival in Canada. There is no information about exact ages or place of birth on the marriage record. If they had married in Ontario that information would have been recorded in 1928.

Venelow
Canada

Hi venelow

Canadian google doesn't seem to be the same as UK google as the only relevant response I could find was a link to this thread - any chance you could post a link please? (or PM?)

It's possible that it's a different Hilda as the one I'm interested in was born in Chorlton-cum-hardy, Manchester and not Canada. I have a copy of the actual marriage entry from the Drouin Collection and I'm positive I have the right people as all four of the parents match info I had before I found the marriage. The name of the tree owner might help - (my Ancestry sub expires in 11 days!)

Regards
Ray

This is her -

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 December 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »

Hi Ray
PM Sent
Venelow

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 December 15 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Grateful thanks to rosie and venelow- Rootschat comes up trumps again!

I've ordered the Certs. and it will be interesting to see what information they throw up. To think, I probably spent my first 40 years living within a stone's throw of the person I was searching for.

Ray

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 December 15 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorted! Excellent service from the GRO - I ordered two certificates from them, on line, on Monday and they dropped through the letterbox today (Thursday).

"There's n'owt as strange a life" as they say in these parts. I have followed Hilda from Chorlton-cum-Hardy to Canada, via Liverpool, and back to the Wirral where she disappeared. I now find that she died less than a mile from where I lived from the age of 9 to 45 and she and Mr Smith lived less than half a mile from my grandparents house. 

This may be coincidence enough but she actually married in a church the front door of which is less than 20 yards from the house my mother owned from 1962 until just over five years ago!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 December 15 12:14 GMT (UK) »
You probably walked past them in the street  ;D

Glad it is sorted and the GRO excelled themselves once more.  I have also had some very quick turnarounds on certificates from them recently.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk