Author Topic: Visiting Devon Heritage Centre  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Aussie possum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Visiting Devon Heritage Centre
« on: Sunday 20 December 15 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am unexpectedly getting to visit UK in 2016 and hope to fit in a visit to Devon Heritage Centre as there is a record held there I would love to gain access to.  I know the ropes for visiting achives in good old Oz, but this will be a completely new experience for me.  The record is for a removal order, (Henry Manfield from Luppitt to Burlescombe) and I don't know what this documentation is likely to comprise.  Is it likely to be multiple pages or just a single paragraph?  I don't know whether to pay the 5 pound fee to take photographs, or just pay for them to do photocopies.  Also it said something about a readers ticket.  I did not see how to go about obtaining this, but maybe I will have to check out the website more closely.
Regards
Possum
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Devon Heritage Centre
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 15 12:32 GMT (UK) »

Hello Possum ( Even with my Norf Lundun accent I sound to me like Dame Edna! )

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/councildemocracy/record_office/dro-photocopying/making_enquiries.htm
Says . . . . .
If you wish to visit the heritage centre in person, you should firstly check other relevant pages on our website for information on the sources we hold here.  If you cannot find webpages on our website which provide the information you are seeking, you can write to us or email us on devrec@devon.gov.uk for information on the sources which we have available. If we have webpages which cover your enquiry, we may direct you to them.  If your enquiry is not covered by our existing website information we will endeavour to give you advice by email.

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 December 15 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi well I see the Devons Records are still not the most user friendly,they were not when they were in the middle of Exeter and even now they have moved  outside to Sowton,they have not changed much,so you want to look at a original record,I suspect in common with most records offices they will want you to have a Carn Ticket ,this should once you have it allow you to use it at any centre around the country but of course that was too simple for some centres and they are now not allowing a Carn from a different county to be used,anyway that should not effect you as you would seem to be unable to get one,given the rules,your Auzzie passport is no good unless you have a UK address,complicated isn't it,I would suggest you take a UK resident with you who has a driving license and a utility bill or two with them ,they can order the record and you can get a copy of it ,I suspect it will only be one or two sheets long,the only thing that has changed for the good is the old record centre in Exeter used to charge you to use it,the only one I ever found that did this but they new centre has stopped this :D

Offline Aussie possum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 16 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ray and geno for your help.

I see it is more complicated than I thought.  I am sure that's where the record is held, but I won't have any UK resident in the vicinity to come with me.  I might have to do a re-think on this one.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 16 08:46 GMT (UK) »
I would be tempted to contact the Heritage centre, explain what you are looking for and that you live in Australia and see if it is possible for the details to be emailed to you.

I don't know what removal entries normally include. I have only had one from Lancashire and it listed the fathers name and noted his wife and three children and that they had been removed from A to B. Just two lines of script.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irenearchives

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 16 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Visiting Devon Heritage Centre is quite straightforward.  Details of planning a visit are on our website http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/councildemocracy/record_office/information_dalss/visiting_us/using_the_searchroom.htm#reg_as_searcher

Under registering as a searcher are details of obtaining a reader's tickets and proof of identity requirements. Visitors from overseas can book in as daily users if they have no ID with an address on it but the address does not have to be a UK address so a driving licence would be acceptable. 

We no longer operate the CARN ticket system so that is why we do not accept CARN tickets issued elsewhere, only those issued in Devon or Somerset.  We now have our own South West Heritage Trust readers tickets which we can issue to current and new users and these are valid for 4 years and can be used at Devon Heritage Centre, North Devon Record Office and Somerset Heritage Centre in Taunton.  We are no longer part of Devon County Council but part of the South West Heritage Trust.

For any enquiries about visits or our records you can email us at our new email address devonarchives@swheritage.org.uk

Irene Andrews, Devon Heritage Centre, Devon Archives and Local Studies Service

Offline Aussie possum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 January 16 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Irene.  I am much happier now.  I will check out the website more fully when I am in UK and know more accurately the date I will be visiting.

Possum