Author Topic: Street Name Lookup! Please help!  (Read 2430 times)

Offline msadmn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Street Name Lookup! Please help!
« on: Sunday 20 December 15 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i have my great grandmothers birth certificate here, i managed to decipher it to the following address:

5 Park Row Penrhiwtyn, Neath

This looks to be in the Llantwit Lower parish.

I cannot find Park row on any Census - i can find Park Terrace. Looking at old maps i can see Park Terrace, which is near Rodney Road ( now called Morgans Road ) but im not sure exactly which houses they are.

My great Grandmother was born in 1890, but i found her in Albert Road in 1891 census. I am not sure if Albert road was really Park Row, but the OS maps of Glamorgan in 1897-1910 show albert road to be in a slightly different place.

I did find a mention of Park Row in the Findmypast newspaper articles for a family named Eaton in 1886, so i know it did exist.

Does anyone know where i can find the street name changes for this area anywhere online?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Street Name Lookup! Please help!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 15 16:14 GMT (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/view/102342451

zoom in on "NEATH in bold - "Park Row" to west of "N next "Corporation Field".

Offline msadmn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 December 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thats not in im afraid, bit of a red herring...

Corporation field was renamed victoria gardens, and those houses were demolished - they are also not in Penrhiwtyn or lantwit lower, its in neath ' proper ' Penrhiwtyn is in the bottom left hand corner of the map, near Melyncrythan.

Thanks for your help though!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 December 15 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Quite appreciate that  - had searched the various sectors available on "maps.nls" for "penrhiwtyn" - and recognised it didn't quite fit with the present location. For example "Pen-rhiw-tyn lodge" is in the bottom corner.
Therefore, posting the only "Park Row"  on view.

Offline msadmn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 December 15 23:36 GMT (UK) »
yeah i crossed referenced penrhitwyn with the current google maps and its definitely down that area.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 December 15 08:39 GMT (UK) »
I can see Park Row, Neath on the 1891 census
I dont know the area at all, so not sure if this is the Park Row you are looking for? The page before the houses in Park Row says St Davids St, then 1 Park Row where William and Catherine Arnold reside with their family (RG12/ 4461), then quite a few residents in Park Row, the next place is Eastland Road and then Rugby Street.
The residents of 5 Park Row in 1891 are William Chapman and his family.
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 December 15 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi msadm

Would you be a little more specific as to the name of your ggm and the actual address and census ref  where you found her in 1891?

Thanks
Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline msadmn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 December 15 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all, sadly i dont think that is the right park row, its the same one as mentioned above ( chapman and family )

Heres the deal

My GGM ( Born Elizabeth Maud Alford ) was born in 1890 , in the 1891 census she is in Llandtwit lower, at 5 Albert st Penrhitwyn.. She is listed as a daughter of a Joseph Richards, and is listed as Elizabeth Maud Richards along with her older sister, Elizabeth Ann . Heres the clincher; after not finding a Elizabeth Maud Richards on BDM  I ordered her birth certificate, there is No father listed! So i wanted to see who was listed at the address on her Birth Certificate in 1891 and 1881 which is 5 Park Row, Penrhitwyn. There is, however a Park Terrace listed in 1891 which is uninhabited! Im yet to find Park Terrace on the 1891 census, but the enumeration districts seem to change a lot, so ill keep hunting i guess. I thought it might give me a clue one way or the other who the father might have been.

Hope this helps

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 December 15 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)
the 1891 census lists Matilda Richards living in the same house as her parents William and Eliza Alford, William Alfords son in law Joseph Richards (both Matilda and Joseph are listed as married) , Eliza and Mary Alford (daughters of William and Eliza Alford) and granddaughters Eliza and Maud Richards. Maud is less than 8 months and Eliza is 2 years old.

In 1892 Matilda Alford marries Joseph Richards in Neath.

In 1901, Joseph, his wife Matilda and Eliza and Maud are all living together in Ethel Street Neath with a few more children, the father in law (who seems to have changed his name to Henry Alford, although a later census has a W in front of Henry so same man) and Mary Alford.
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk