Author Topic: Can someone help me find Emily / Emma Burlington?  (Read 5106 times)

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone help me find Emily / Emma Burlington?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 09:27 GMT (UK) »
I can't find anything, even with having the only search criteria as father's surname Burlington and mother's Brown. I've tried some other things,  but no luck.

What's particularly frustrating about this is that I doubt I'll be able to find her death certificate either, as it looks like she married a man named Arthur Smith and (probably) died in England... so I'm looking for an Emma or Emily Smith who died at any time after 1958, which is very much a needle-in-a-haystack situation. (I know it was after 1958 because she attended her father's funeral).

I've searched ScotlandsPeople for deaths for a Milne or Smith with other names Milne and/or Burlington, mother's maiden name Brown. Nothing.
Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 10:00 GMT (UK) »
The Irish civil registration index on Family Search for that period does not include mother's maiden name and if surname isn't indexed as Burlington (or something similar) then you will not find it. try searching for Emily/Emma births 1890-1901 and then select location.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 January 16 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I've found the following on SP, which would appear to be Emma's daughter with her second husband:

(birth)

1942   SMITH   LILIAN MCFARLAN   F   COLLEGE   GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   644/07 0388

(marriage)

1962   MARSHALL   ROBERT   SMITH   LILIAN MCFARLAN   BRIDGETON   GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   644/02 0015

(death)

2003   SMITH   LILIAN MCFARLAN   BURLINGTON   MARSHALL MILNE   F   61   KIRKINTILLOCH AND LENNOXTOWN   /DUMBARTON   508/00 0333

This is another piece of the puzzle. I wonder if I can somehow get in touch with a relative of Lilian's? It's interesting that she has Milne listed as a previous name, as this was her mother's first husband. Hmm.

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 March 16 14:10 GMT (UK) »

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 March 16 20:13 GMT (UK) »

I wonder if it possibly her:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBJD-C2F

There was an Ena Elizabeth Burlington baptised early 1899 in Dublin for parents William Charles and Marie Louise Burlington, she was born on 12 November 1898, so maybe not.

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 September 16 01:44 BST (UK) »
I wonder, now that many Irish records are now online, if we could finally solve this mystery. A few preliminary searches have turned up nothing, but I won't give up that easily.  :-*

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 15:05 BST (UK) »
I've had no luck with this, either using the new Irish records or the revamped ScotlandsPeople.

It has been suggested to me that Emily/Emma may have been adopted, which is especially likely when you consider that her parents had no other children together - very rare for the time, given the lack of reliable contraception - and so may well have been unable to have any.

However, would such an adoption have likely been informal? A case of taking in a foundling, perhaps?

Would there be any kind of paper trail, and if so, where would I start looking?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
However, would such an adoption have likely been informal? A case of taking in a foundling, perhaps?

Would there be any kind of paper trail, and if so, where would I start looking?

Adoption is certainly a possibility. I spent 20 years trying to locate the birth of one relative born ca 1879. Never could find anything in either civil or parish records. A few years ago I discovered from a will that she was adopted. There was no paperwork or formal process for adoptions before relatively recent times (1920s/30s), so basically, almost no way to know, unless you turn up something like the reference in the will that solved my particular mystery (sort of).
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 21:00 BST (UK) »
A female Burlington......
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.