Author Topic: History of Parents House  (Read 523 times)

Offline Cinirel

  • RootsChat Extra
  • **
  • Posts: 48
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from
    • View Profile
History of Parents House
« on: Monday 21 December 15 00:32 GMT (UK) »

I wonder if you good people could help - I am tracing the history of my parents house and am having some difficulty in negotiating the electoral rolls.

Could anyone give me guidance, have been using Find My past and also Ancestry with limited results.

Many thank in advance

Online Girl Guide

  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • *******
  • Posts: 6,452
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from
    • View Profile
Re: History of Parents House
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 December 15 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Are you trying to find out who lived in your parents house before they did?  If so you would do better to contact the council for the area and ask them to do a look up for the address for whatever years you  are interested in.

They may well make a charge for every year they look at.

It looks as though Find My Past uses names as a search point and looking at the image gives you the address.  You therefore need to know the name!
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Online AntonyMMM

  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,274
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: History of Parents House
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 December 15 09:03 GMT (UK) »
The coverage of electoral rolls on both Ancestry and FindMyPast is very limited.

For House History work you will get far more information from the county archive - they should have copies of the electoral information for the area, but also old maps and other information that will pinpoint when the house was built and more.

A lot depends on the age of the house. If it is of a considerable age you may want to get a specialist to look at it to identify different building phases and likely build dates.