Author Topic: Reid Family - John Cowan Reid  (Read 5810 times)

Offline Jenny57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reid Family - John Cowan Reid
« on: Tuesday 22 December 15 00:34 GMT (UK) »
John Cowan Reid born 1827/28 who married Mary Anna Crawford.  According to the Census return John Cowan Reid was born in Co Down but I have been unable to trace any records for him and am at a brick wall where my research is concerned.  Anyone else out there who is researching this branch of the Reid Family?

Many thanks.
Maxwell,Workman, O'Neill, Smyth/Smith.
Reid,McClean,O'Hara,
Weir,Neill.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Reid Family - John Cowan Reid
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

Is it possible to post some more details please?

When/where did he marry?

Did he have children?

What were their names in order of birth as this can sometimes signify parentage.

Do you have info. on Mary A & her parentage?

Can you eliminate kids named after her line?

Where was J C living on the census you found, what yr was it & who else is named with any other info.?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Jenny57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie 
John C was living in 12 Orient Gardens Belfast at the time of the 1901 Census, that is where I discovered he was born in Co Down.  John C (Aged 73) was a widower then. On the Census we have a Son John Crawford Reid Aged 62 ??? quite possibly transcribed wrong and should perhaps be 42?born in England. Another Son Ebenezer Martin Reid Aged 29, Born Belfast and his wife Mary Ellen Reid Aged 27 born Belfast.  I know John Cowan died in 1904 aged 77 and was buried from 29 Manor Street Belfast and is buried in Belfast City Cemetery. I have details of his children and their marriages etc but in order to proceed further I need details on John Cowan Reid's parents etc.  I do not know when or where he was married.
Maxwell,Workman, O'Neill, Smyth/Smith.
Reid,McClean,O'Hara,
Weir,Neill.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie 
John C was living in 12 Orient Gardens Belfast at the time of the 1901 Census, that is where I discovered he was born in Co Down.  John C (Aged 73) was a widower then. On the Census we have a Son John Crawford Reid Aged 62 ??? quite possibly transcribed wrong and should perhaps be 42?born in England. Another Son Ebenezer Martin Reid Aged 29, Born Belfast and his wife Mary Ellen Reid Aged 27 born Belfast.  I know John Cowan died in 1904 aged 77 and was buried from 29 Manor Street Belfast and is buried in Belfast City Cemetery. I have details of his children and their marriages etc but in order to proceed further I need details on John Cowan Reid's parents etc.  I do not know when or where he was married.

Hi Jenny,

To progress "we" need the info. I asked for as every clue can unravel a lot.

The info. on their children's births are vital.

I asked for the info. on the children as it could help to identify his parents names & also for other descendants who may recognise the names, pick up on the post & therefore may have info. to share?

Hi Jenny,

Did he have children?
What were their names in order of birth as this can sometimes signify parentage.

Do you have info. on Mary A & her parentage?
Can you eliminate kids named after her line?

Where & when were the children born (with names in order please)?

What was J C's occupation on each birth?

Who registered his death....a family member (child)?
What was his occupation given as?

Check out this link which may be of significance & shed some light?.....

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gpr/

As I mentioned.....eliminating children named after Mary Anna's parents can give an idea of J C's parents & it's things like this that help you to proceed but for others to help we need those details.

Those details can help significantly one way or another but records from familysearch are only a guide....you need originals with full details to proceed as they give addresses of birth & occupation.

When was the 1st child you know of born & where as this will help to establish a possible yr & place of marriage depending on his occupation?

I say this as I have a family member who travelled in his job, married in one place but kids born in other locations as well as his place of birth being 2 different places on different census records.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 05:23 GMT (UK) »
With the usual health warning over accuracy, there is following online reference:

Dugald Crawford Reid was born in 1862, to John Cowan Reid and Marianna Reid (born Crawford). John was born on September 29 1827, in Co Down. Marianna was born in 1835, in England. Dugald had 4 brothers: Ebenezer Martin (Eben) Reid and 3 other siblings.

If accurate, freebmd shows a possible corroborating record under "Marriages Sep 1856", registered in Norwich registration district, volume 4b, page 195, for a John Cowan Reed and Marian Crawford.  Given the particular names, worth following up.

Edited to add:  In the 1861 England census, in Norwich Heigham, I can see a 32 year old John Reid, a draper and tea dealer born in Ireland, and 28 year old wife Marianna born in Norfolk, they have 2 children also born in Norfolk, 3 year old John and 1 year old Margaret.  Freebmd shows a John Crawford Reid birth registered in Norwich registration district, "Births 1858", volume 4b, page 172. Also a Margaret Jane Reid birth registered in Norwich registration district, "Births Dec 1859", volume 4b, page 157.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 09:39 GMT (UK) »
If accurate, freebmd shows a possible corroborating record under "Marriages Sep 1856", registered in Norwich registration district, volume 4b, page 195, for a John Cowan Reed and Marian Crawford.  Given the particular names, worth following up.

The marriage certificate should list his father's name and occupation- which may, or may not, help trace his ancestry.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Legate1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 16 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny, I've just seen your posting. John Cowan Reid was born in Corbally, Garvaghy to Samuel and Jane Reid. He had 2 brothers and 1 sister. Some of us are still around. hope you see this.
A Reid

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 September 16 14:52 BST (UK) »
Wasn't Reid a big name in the Presbyterian church, I think in Ballynahinch?

Who were the parents of Agnes Reid?  I have an Agnes Reid who in 1889 married John Harrison, at St. Andrew's Church of Ireland, Killaney Parish, Lisburn DIstrict, Co. Down, Ireland. 

Thank you.
Harrison

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Legate,

A possible family connection...

John Cowan Reid was born in Corbally, Garvaghy to Samuel and Jane Reid. He had 2 brothers and 1 sister.

Can you please post the names/dates/places of those siblings as others researching the family may pick up on the info. which may bring some extra info.

Annie