Author Topic: birth of Jessie KENNEDY in Dumfriesshire, 1810  (Read 860 times)

Offline TerriC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
birth of Jessie KENNEDY in Dumfriesshire, 1810
« on: Wednesday 23 December 15 01:53 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate the birth of Jessie KENNEDY, who according to her tombstone in Adelaide, South Australia, was born on 12 July 1810 in Dumfries.
She married George McEwin on 20th November 1838 in Liverpool in the Scotch Church in Mount Pleasant, and the certificate gives her father's name as Robert, a road contractor. Witnesses to the marriage were Isabella Little and William Alexander.
George and Jessie used the Scottish naming traditions with their children, and named their first daughter Mary Bartlett.
George and Jessie emigrated to Australia in 1839. George was a gardener.
I have searched Scotland's People, Ancestry, Family Search, FreeReg and Find My Past for both Jessie's birth/baptism and a marriage for Robert Kennedy, with no success.
Although George & Jessie had left Liverpool before 1841, I have searched the 1841 census for a Robert & Mary Kennedy with no success.
As far as I know, none of Jessie's siblings (if she had any) emigrated to Australia. All of George's did, along with his parents.

If any one has any information about Jessie, or any suggestions for what I might try next, I would be most grateful  :)

Cheers,
Terri

Collis, McKinley, Walsh, Griffin, Thirkill, Stephenson, Turner, O'Connor, McEwin, Grant, Woodburn, Bright, Farrell, Daniel, Nash, Simpson, Collins, Delaney, Blanchfield, Bell

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: birth of Jessie KENNEDY in Dumfriesshire, 1810
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terri,

Nothing for Jessie but could this be a brother......

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT15-FXH

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline TerriC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: birth of Jessie KENNEDY in Dumfriesshire, 1810
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Could indeed be a brother  :)

I'll check it out.

Thanks.....and merry christmas  8)
Collis, McKinley, Walsh, Griffin, Thirkill, Stephenson, Turner, O'Connor, McEwin, Grant, Woodburn, Bright, Farrell, Daniel, Nash, Simpson, Collins, Delaney, Blanchfield, Bell