Author Topic: Morton Family of Ballymahon, Co Longford  (Read 16179 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Morton Family of Ballymahon, Co Longford
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 December 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
OK, thanks.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 21:58 GMT (UK) »
My list of Mortons keeps growing but with the total loss of the Shrule COI records finding more Mortons is proving increasingly difficult. Putting them into the correct families is even more difficult.

I ordered photocopies of some Morton marriages and deaths which have added a couple more names ot the Morton clan

Thomas Morton who died 10 July 1881 in Newcastle, Ballymahon, Co Longford - the informant was Grace J Morton of Newcastle.
Mary Morton who died 6 Jun 1875 in Newcastle, Ballymahon, Co Longford - the informant was John Morton of Newcastle.
Joseph Morton who died 23 Jun 1882 in Newtown, Flanagan, Co Longford - the informant was Eliza Lloyd of Newtown, Flanagan
John Morton who died 11 February 1864 in Abbeydarrig, Kenagh, Co Longford - the informant was Robert Armstrong - nephew of Creagh
John Henry Morton marriage to Anne Cobban on 16 Jan 1878 in the town of Drogheda. Johns fathers name was Thomas
John Morton marriage to Anne Wallace (nee Johnston) on 13 Dec 1852 in Templemichael. Johns fathers name was Thomas

I have also ordered a couple of certified certificates but these will take a while to arrive.
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia
Day - Echuca, Tongala, London, Fairford-Gloucestershire
Clark/McGraw - New Zealand, Ireland, England
McMahon -Ipswich-QLD, Kiladysart-Co Clare
Smith - Ipswich, Pine Mountain, Redbank-QLD, Co Westmeath, Co Cavan-Ireland
McGuire - Redbank - QLD, Co Westmeath-Ireland
Culhane - Queensland, Ardlaghan - Co Limerick

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:36 GMT (UK) »
5110     MORTON, Peter   31   11-Nov   Longford  C     Mar[ried]         -                    Reserve, Waterford.

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/longford/military/ric-longford-1842.txt  haven't checked other years!  http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/longford/military.htm

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - this Peter Morton is an unusual one. Could it be his religious faith has been incorrectly entered? He would be the only Morton who was Catholic in Longford that I could find.

Peter Morton

"Enlisted:  1842
Film #:  856058
Page #:  111
5110     MORTON, Peter   31   11-Nov   Longford  Catholic     Mar[ried]  - Reserve, Waterford.
Reg. No.: 5110
Name: Peter Morton
Aged: 31
Height: 5 feet - 9 inches
Religion: Catholic
Married: 1 June 1852
Wife's County: -
Previous Trade: -
Appointed: 11 November 1842"

John Morton

"Enlisted:  1832
Film #:  856057
Page #:  122
Reg. No.: 1438
Name: John Morton
Aged: 22
Height: 5 feet - 10 inches
Religion: Protestant
Married: 16 September 1835
Wife's County: Westmeath
Previous Trade: Gardener
Appointed: 20 September 1832"

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 01:59 GMT (UK) »
I just purchased the following:

James Morton son of Thomas and Anne Morton - born 12 Sep 1821, baptised 21 Sep 1821
Joseph Morton son of William and Margaret Morton - born 24 Oct, baptised 3 Nov
Thomas Morton son of William and Margaret Morton - born 13 Apr 1825, baptised 17 Apr 1825
John Morton son of William and Ellen - born 26 July 1837, baptised 10 Sep 1837
Elizabeth daughter of Thomas and Mary Morton - born 15 June 1841, baptised 25 July 1841 (this is my line)
Thomas Morton marriage to Mary Fawcett on 8 August 1840 (my line and each person has signed their name)
William Morton marriage to Ellen Achmuty on 4 August 1836
Elizabeth Morton marriage to Joseph Newcomen on 19 Feb 1829. Elizabeth signs with her X mark.

Offline jmorton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 March 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys, hope you see this.

I am a great-great-great-grandson of the John Henry Morton (1855-1922) mentioned here, through his eldest son John Thomas Morton (1879-1977), who came to England around 1901. I would really appreciate if you could lay out how you think all these Mortons are connected, either through text or preferably a diagram or spreadsheet, with sources if possible. One record, I can't remember if it was a marriage or death, states his father as Thomas Morton, but which of these Thomases would it have been? Any input would be great; you've been incredibly helpful here.

Thanks,
James Morton

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 March 17 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi James

Im in the process of creating a blog which lists all confirmed birth, marriage and death records for the Co Longford Mortons plus Will records, census etc

The issue is that the Mortons seem to have been quite successful having children so that after 2-3 generations there are multiple of the same name and very little to link each line

We need Mortons with family bibles, written histories etc to contribute and to try and piece things together from there. The loss of the records for Shrule is a major setback. This is my fourth family line whose records were destroyed in 1922.

James Ill message you my email address

Offline colmc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
On 7 march 1884 both Sarah Morton(c1852-1891)and Grace Jane Morton(c1861-1931) were married in Dromcliffe county Clare, both listed their fathers name as Thomas, and their address as Dromore in the parish of Dromcliffe. Both were spinsters. Their father Thomas was deceased and recorded as a farmer.

Grace Jane married Thomas Hicks, Sergeant RIC, resident of dovea thurles, witnesses John Gloster and Alice Downing.

Sarah married Thomas Clarke, RIC constable, address appears to be Pike in Birr but i understand that Birr was named parsonstown at that time, witnesses were James Clarke and Annie Morton.

Grace had 5 children that i know of(Grace Mary or Victoria,Thomas, robert, George, and John)  in thurles and died there in 1931, is listed in 1901 census at 7 Dovea Lower Kilrush Aged 40 and 1911 census at 8 Dovea Lower Kilrush Aged 50. her county of birth is given as Longford.

Sarah had 2 children(Harriette Mary and Grace Millicent) with Thomas Clarke who died in Killinane near Loughrea in 1886 (a farmer by this time). She married Michael Gloster and had (i believe)2 more children(Sarah Elizabeth and Mary or Ethel) before she died in Kilchreest.(to the best of my knowledge, the address for both Clarke and Gloster was Roxborough estate)

I am assuming that John Henry Morton(c1855-1922) is a brother of Sarah and Grace and that his wife Annie was the witness for Sarah. i am also inclined to assume that Grace Jane Morton was the same informant for Thomas Morton(c1815-1881)who i believe is my great-great-great-grandfather.
This would then be the same Thomas Morton that james is looking for.

I am happy to share any documentation i have and would greatly appreciate any for members of this family. CC