Author Topic: Morton Family of Ballymahon, Co Longford  (Read 16353 times)

Offline annoici

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morton Family of Ballymahon, Co Longford
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 11 September 21 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have no connection to the Morton family, but attach something which I hope is of use/interest. I was working on a poetry book about forgotten Irish women poets and came across a May Morton with only an approximate date of birth. This piqued my curiosity.  She, too, was a daughter of Thomas Morton the Land Steward of Townley Hall and Millicent Guy. Mary Elizabeth (May) was born on 18 February 1879 in Garryspillane (Hospital (place!) Registration District, Co Limerick).

Offline annoici

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 11 September 21 18:06 BST (UK) »
Here attached are, as far as I can ascertain, the children of Thomas Mortons first and second marriages. I cannot find (on the irishgenealogy.ie site) a suitable birth record for William from the first marriage, but I added him as on the 1911 census for 25 Newington Avenue, Duncairn ED are
Morton   May Elizabeth   30   Female   Boarder   Church of Ireland   Co Limerick   National School Teacher   Read and write   -   Single   -   -   -   -
Morton   William   25   Female   Boarder   Church of Ireland   Co Louth   Typist G. P. O   Read and write   -   Single
so very likely to be a brother and Co Louth birth would tally with Drogheda and Townley Hall.

Offline annoici

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 11 September 21 18:10 BST (UK) »
See attached

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi annoici

Thank you for that. I didn't have Mays death so it was great to read about her life.

I have 11 children to Thomas Morton Jr and his two wives.
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia
Day - Echuca, Tongala, London, Fairford-Gloucestershire
Clark/McGraw - New Zealand, Ireland, England
McMahon -Ipswich-QLD, Kiladysart-Co Clare
Smith - Ipswich, Pine Mountain, Redbank-QLD, Co Westmeath, Co Cavan-Ireland
McGuire - Redbank - QLD, Co Westmeath-Ireland
Culhane - Queensland, Ardlaghan - Co Limerick

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 08:32 BST (UK) »
I didn't have Mays death.......

PRONI Will Calendars - https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Full Abstract :
Morton Mary Elizabeth of 19 Waterloo Gardens Belfast spinster died 8 October 1957 at Bangor General Hospital Bangor county Down Probate Belfast 6 February to John Templeton McVicker estate agent and John Harold Hewitt art director. Effects £1258 2s. 10d.  Date of Grant: 6 February 1959

GRONI Online - https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

D/1957/196/1024/35/396  Mary Morton   8th October 1957   78   Female   Newtownards

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline steviepeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Its been a while. I have traced Fanny Morton and her husband John Williams, who married in Carrick on Suir to Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, where they were employed as servants, had a family and lived and worked in the hospital for over 30 years. John Williams retired from the 3rd Foot, The Buffs sometime after 1861 where he and his wife took up their employment a servants In RVH, Netley.
Interesting lives. My search for their forebears has ceased due to lack of info, my search stops at Johnston whom I know quite a lot but his and Fanny's parents are a mystery. I do not think they are related to The Mortons Of Ballymahon, But if you have better info please pass it on, Cheers!
Morton - Tipperary, Longford/Clonmel Ireland
Gallatley - Ireland,
Brownbill - Liverpool, Prescot
Burberry - Dorking
Bonnyman - Elgin/Buckie/St Albans

Offline nellieagtha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 30 June 23 06:43 BST (UK) »
There is also a link with the Morton family to the Butler's. On William Edward Morton (son of John Henry 1855) arrival card in the USA the person he knew was Robert Butler a cousin. The family must of done very well, as William is recorded as carrying $8000 in his possession.