Author Topic: Walsh-Steele connection  (Read 561 times)

Offline topdion63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walsh-Steele connection
« on: Friday 25 December 15 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm John Walsh, new to the site today after discussing family matters over Xmas lunch. Found a piece from a couple of months ago about the Steele family of Clifton and Allhallows. Well Arabella Steele was my great-grandmother. Left Cumberland for service in Accrington where she met and married James Walsh on February 8th, 1890 at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Accrington. At the time James’ address was given as 127 Avenue Parade while Arabella, described as a domestic servant was living at 50, Blackburn Road, Accrington.
My grandfather John Walter Walsh was born on April 1, 1893 in Accrington and baptised at St. James Church, Accrington on May 4 that year. Sadly James died in 1906 at the age of 46 from tuberculosis, or as described on the death certificate as acute phthisis.
Subsequently the widowed Arabella moved back to her Cumberland roots and in 1911 married Thomas George Hewitson, a miner from Aspatria who lived at 22, Lawson Street in the town.
The link turned full circle, too, as son John Walter Walsh married Jane Penrice Studholme at St. Mary's Church, Maryport on July 22, 1917. One of the witnesses was Jonathan Steele.
John Walter (always known as Walter) Walsh and Jane Penrice Studholme (always known as Jenny) had one son, my father Allan Walsh who died, aged 96, on New Year's Day 2015.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh-Steele connection
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 December 15 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Welcome to rootschat  :)

I think that this may be the post you saw about Arabella and the Steele/Walsh family
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=689012.0

If you post on there I am sure sirsimon will be pleased to hear from you

Rosie  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline topdion63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 December 15 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie I will do that. Much obliged. Compliments of the season.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 December 15 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Compliments of the season.

All the best to you too. 

Watch out though rootschat is addictive - though very friendly.  :) 

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline topdion63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 December 15 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Lol. Yes I'm sure it is. I have been doing various family tree searches for about eight years now. Go mad for a month and then do little or nothing. First time I've found this site though. Best regards.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 December 15 11:37 GMT (UK) »
in case you never had the address in 1893

Baptism: 4 May 1893 St James, Accrington, Lancashire, England
John Walter Walsh - [Child] of James Walsh & Arrebella
    Born: 1 Apr 1893
    Abode: 7 Wadington Street
    Baptised by: J P Petty
 :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline topdion63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 December 15 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes that's actually a mis-print because its Washington Street and John Walter was my grandfather. He died in 1957 at our house in Ellenborough, Maryport shortly after my 11th birthday. He had smoked all his life and died from lung cancer. He was quite a character. Could recite huge chunks of Shakespeare and Dickens. Once, from his sick bed, he wrote a short play for my cousin and I to re-enact.
Arabella (nee Steele) his mother had died in Aspatria 1945. His father James had died of TB at the age of 46 and Arabella returned to her roots in Cumberland where she married miner Thomas Hewitson.
I have been working on the Walsh family and have got back to 1813 with Daniel in Clayton-le-Moors but surprisingly haven't come up with an Irish connection.
All the best
John A. Walsh