Author Topic: If I cancel Ancestry how much of my tree will I be able to see please?  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Braytons

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
If I cancel Ancestry how much of my tree will I be able to see please?
« on: Saturday 26 December 15 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I have decided to cancel my Ancestry subscription and swap to FindmyPast.

Can anyone tell me how much of my tree I shall still be able to see?  Will I be able to see the scans of the census, birth and marriage records that I have already collected? 

Braytons

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: If I cancel Ancestry how much of my tree will I be able to see please?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 December 15 09:32 GMT (UK) »
All of it, and you can still add to it and edit! You can still search, but not the member only stuff!   Have a look at the link below.

It seems your source info will still be there, but you won't be able to view the actual images if they belong to Ancestry.

My suggestion would be that before you unsubscribe, copy all your original images etc, photos certs, other records, to your own computer.

You should be able to import your tree Gedcom from ancestry into FindMyPast, but that will be without photos, stories etc.  Whatever you have on your computer, that is your own you can put back in!

I'm sure that if I'm not correct with this info, some good person will step up and put us both right! I certainly don't want to put you wrong!

I'm thinking seriously of doing the same thing myself, and currently  looking where to change to. Just can't cope with the new Ancestry!  Loved it as it was, and very disappointed!

http://help.ancestry.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5035/~/what-happens-to-my-tree-after-i-cancel-my-subscription%3F

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline panic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 December 15 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Assuming you attached sources from Ancestry, like census scans etc, then you will be able to see your tree but not the sources as the actual scans/transcriptions of anything are just linked to and require an active subscription to follow. Its annoying if you share your tree with family, as they can't view the detail without a sub. The same happens with Family Tree Maker, which is very annoying, you need to download and attach.

Definitely download the scans, and in sources part copy all transcription detail (as I believe ancestry puts in a generic comment rather than full details by default).

Of course all the scans are copyright, so if you are putting them elsewhere, ensure the copyright is visible, or use a image editor to add one on it. I believe is fine for personal use, like on your tree stored elsewhere.
Shropshire: Bailey, Cadman, Chilton, Garbett, Pritchards
Yorkshire: Chilton, Cogan, Cooper, Farrar, Hammond, Nickless/Nicholls, Silkstone
Ireland: Brannan, Cogan, O'Connor

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 December 15 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Why not get a good genealogy program and keep it all on your own computer where it is under your own control whether or not you pay any subscriptions. I have never understood why you would want to keep your data on someone else's system and pay them for the privilege of accessing it ???

My preference is for RootsMagic but there many to choose from. You can still back up your data to an online (cloud) server; you should certainly keep at least 2 backup copies of everything important anyway.

Just my opinion :)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 December 15 12:03 GMT (UK) »
mike - I agree.  I use Legacy as do many other Rootschatters.

Offline Braytons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 December 15 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thank you for all the replies and I basically agree with Mike and others when you say I should use a genealogy program. 

I have not heard of Legacy or RootsMagic.  I will have a look.  My husband started keeping our family tree on Great Family years ago, its very very basic. 

A year ago I subscribed to Ancestry and have done well with the tracing of forbears.  Now I am thinking of subscribing to Find my Past instead because it includes Ireland which the basic Ancestry doesn't.

I have spent the last few hours since my initial question saving the images of the records as suggested in case I cannot view them when I stop subscribing.  I don't know why I didn't start saving them months ago, very foolish, I am regretting it now as it's a bit of a fiddly process.

Any other input very welcome.
Braytons

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 December 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
You might find that the free version of RootsMagic is sufficient for your needs:

http://www.rootsmagic.co.uk/free-demo.php

If not, you can upgrade after trying it out for a while. There is a comparison list of the free and paid versions on the above site, which is for the UK version.

I have no connection with RM, but settled for it many years ago after trying almost everything that was available at the time. You may prefer one of the others :-\

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 December 15 16:43 GMT (UK) »
If you cancel your subscription, your tree will still be intact, and the records will all still be attached, but you can only access the ones you don't need to pay for - e.g. the 1881 census and the BMD indexes transcribed by FreeBMD.

So it's worth downloading all the images before your subscription expires... I'd suggest starting with any parish registers, since they almost certainly won't be on Findmypast as well.
But don't panic that your tree will disappear when you quit Ancestry. I would imagine (but don't quote me on it!) that you'll be able to view all the records you attached if you decide to subscribe to them again in the future :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!