Author Topic: Look up please Camp(b)ell in Newbury, Berkshire  (Read 8049 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please Camp(b)ell in Newbury, Berkshire
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Well found, Jon. 
Flat 9, Southampton House – birthplace of John Campbell jnr. Oct 1897

I have now seen the BG records that you were all referring to and it all makes sense now.  I have also ordered Alfred Rimmer's birth cert, so it will be interesting to see who registered the birth - will it be Anne again, as for the other two children and will she call herself Mrs Rimmer?  Also will Alfred have a middle name of Claude.

My sister looked for Madame Adair and beauty salons and found this (she wondered if Anne worked there and/or stole the name) http://www.cosmeticsandskin.com/companies/adair.php
but her first salons were opened in 1900, so I will look in phone books/Kelly's to see what's there.

All coming together now, thanks to all of you.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Also electrical machinery was part of the beauty salon equipment...
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 31 December 15 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Scrutinising the details throws up a few more questions, as why has the person filling in the form put a tick for 'number of children married'?  Or is it a dash to show that the column hasn't been missed out?  I notice a lot of ticks for the income section, where I'd have expected actual sums of money noted down.

It would be interesting to see when Alfred Rimmer began to be called Alfred Campbell, as he had the Campbell name by the time of the 1911 census, when he was 14.  I don't think the various docs regarding children's placements are online yet - perhaps when/if they do, I'll be able to trace their addresses as presumably the BG paid for their accommodation in Newbury (and schooling/apprenticeships if any?) up to a certain age?  Alfred was still at school in the 1911 census, but must have left that year and begun work, so I wonder if the BG recorded such things.

I think I need a week at the LMA!
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 31 December 15 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Alfred is a Campbell on the Leavesden admissions records in 1902.

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 02 January 16 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Mabel - I now realise that the RO is the only place were Alfred's original surname is recorded and my one and only opportunity to discover the name and order his birth cert.  However, his son did say the name had been changed at some point, so he or Alfred must have seen the birth cert at some stage.  I wonder if when Ann died in 1924, any documents were handed over to Alfred, when he discovered the info himself.

Also I can now see where the Leavesden school admissions are on Ancestry.  What I need now is the record for the boarded-out children, but it looks like that is not yet available online.  Perhaps LMA will be adding this eventually as they seem to be systematically adding records.

Re Adair, I searched newspapers online and found many of these classifieds in the London Standard (the address is the one given as Alfred's birthplace in 1896):
London Evening Standard London, England
7 Sep 1896
ADAIR'S ELECTRIC BATHS and MASSAGE 91, Shaftesbury-avenue, 11.0 a.m. to 8.0 p.m.
Invalid Attendants sent out.

Again, I would never have found out this info without the alias in the RO record.

Thanks again everyone.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 02 January 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Again, referring to the RO record, I have searched for the Pelican.

It would appear to have been a club in Soho that closed down in the mid 1890s.

1890/1 phone books: Pelican Club, 21 Denman St, Regent St, W

http://www.eccentricclub.net/ - try Ctrl+F and search for Pelican to find the right place.  It was referred to as the old (ie ex) Pelican club by this time.

and
http://victoriancalendar.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/august-20-1890-pelican-club.html

Happy New Year to all!

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 02 January 16 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Anyone know whether I should post a link on one of the other threads as this is mainly about London, not Berkshire?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 07 January 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I promised to post info on Alfred Rimmer's birth cert, and it arrived today.

As documented by the BG, his place of birth was 91 Shaftesbury Ave and he was registered in the sub district of Soho, in Westminster.  Father: Alfred Rimmer commercial traveller.  The birth was registered by Ann (as with her other children) but this time calling herself Annie Rimmer formerly Crook. For the other children she called herself Ann Campbell.

Also Alfred did not have the middle name of Claude, so he must have acquired that along the way, or perhaps discovered something later about his past and decided to include this as part of his name.  I first found him with Claude in the 1920 electoral register, but it isn't on his marriage cert for January. 

I have glanced at medical registers of the 1890s to see if there is a Alfred Claude or Claude Rimmer who could have been the 'father who was a doctor', but haven't found this combination of names - although I'm not sure how Ancestry searches the database, so it might be there.

I will look for a Crook/Rimmer marriage, but don't expect to find one.  I wonder if the name was just plucked from a newspaper report of the time?

Also wondering if she had any other stillbirths or infants dying very young and whether these, plus the stillbirth that triggered her depression, will be documented.  That'll be my next search.
Crook, Bannister, Warren