Author Topic: John Williams Anglesey  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Suzanne P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Williams Anglesey
« on: Tuesday 29 December 15 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I am researching John Williams born 21st Oct 1905 in Gwastad Geirchen Llangtistiolus, Beaumaris, Anglesey to Maggie Williams (formerly Williams) B1877 and John Williams B1879. He had two elder brothers Thomas aged9 Harry aged8 and a sister Kate aged7 as recorded in the 1911 Llanfabon, Glamorgan Wales Census. He married Florence Margaret Wood in Dec 1928. He was in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in India from I think 1931/2.   

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Williams Anglesey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Could you tell us exactly what type of info you are looking for?  If it is his military career - please see this link

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Suzanne P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. I am searching for John Williams Military history, especially India. Also any information on his branch of Williams in Anglesey, especially as his mothers maiden name shows as William's on his copy birth certificate (1932). I am new to Roots Chat and welcome any advice. 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I notice John is a widower on the 1911 entry so no clues as to the number of years married

The 1901 for Glamorgan is as follows:

John Williams 23 b Bodorgan, Anglesey colliery lumberman underground
Maggie 24 b Llangristiolus, Anglesey
RG13 Piece 5026 Folio 66 Page 10

Per freebmd

Marriages June qtr 1900  - Margaret & Maggie may be one and the same person as there is only one other male & female entry on the same page

Williams    John        Bangor    11b   880    
Williams    Maggie     Bangor    11b   880    
Williams    Margaret     Bangor    11b   880

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 18:52 GMT (UK) »
You need to buy a copy of the 1900 marriage cert to confirm the name of Maggie/Margaret's father.  There is this 1881 entry for Anglesey

Richard Williams   38 b Penmynydd agric labourer
Elizabeth 41 no birthplace shown
William 9          ditto
Margaret 4    b Llangristiolos
RG11 Piece 5586 Folio 67 Page 11

Offline Suzanne P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 December 15 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

John Williams aged 32 widower on the 1911 Llanfabon, Glamorgan census is the father of the John Williams (d.1989) I am researching. I am aware that Maggie died in child birth (1908 roughly) when John (son) was young also John (father) was killed Christmas Eve in a mining accident  (In 1928 he is shown as deceased on Johns (son) Marriage Certificate) The 1901 Census details you gave confirm the 1901 Census I have a copy of showing no children. I will buy a copy of the marriage certificate June qtr 1900, thankyou for your help with the marriage of Maggie and John.   

Offline Suzanne P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 December 15 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The personal information I have been able to give regarding the deaths of John and Maggie are from talking to their granddaughter who remembers her father talking about them. 

Offline Mary87

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 June 20 14:26 BST (UK) »
Re: your query on Gwasted Geirchen, Llangristiolus and the marriage of Margaret (Maggie) Williams to John Williams.  I believe Maggie is the sister of my grandfather, Samuel Williams.  Samuel and Maggie were 2 of 13 children born to Pierce Williams (1833-1903) and his wife Ellinor/Ellen/Ellin (nee Owen.  Gwasted Geirchen was origially the home of Ellinor's parents, Thomas and Catherine Owen.  Pierce and Ellinor moved into the property c.1871.  Maggie was born in 1876 and married John Williams on 12th May 1900 at Twr Gwyn Chapel, Upper Bangor, N. Wales by Minister Daniel Rowlands.  Pierce was the son of William Williams 1805-1885 and his wife Elizabeth Jane (nee Jones) 1797-1884.